McCain = bullish, Obama = bearish for stocks?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by crgarcia, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Since when America going bankrupt is bullish for stocks?

#21     Aug 7, 2008
  2. huh

huh

Because the government will keep going bankrupt and give us money so we can keep buying ipods and shop at walmart....so thats gotta be bullish for those stocks right.

#22     Aug 7, 2008
  3. tortoise

tortoise

purely academic discussion.

mccain will walk away with it in november anyway

it won't even be close.

#23     Aug 7, 2008
  4. bkveen3

bkveen3

We are going on the economic principle that 300,000,000 people are better at spending $10,000 a piece than 1 agency is at spending an extra 1 trillion.

#24     Aug 7, 2008
  5. Nanook

Nanook

"Lack of accomplishments
    Like the current occupant of the White House, McCain got his first career breaks from the connections and money of his family, not from hard work.

The son and grandson of Navy admirals, he attended Annapolis where he did poorly. Nevertheless, he was commissioned as a pilot, where he performed poorly, crashing three planes before he failed to evade a North Vietnamese missile that destroyed his plane. McCain spent more than five years in a prison camp.

After his release, McCain knew his weak military record meant he'd never make admiral, so he turned his sights to a career in politics. With the help of his new wife's wealth, his new father-in-law's business connections and some powerful friends had made as a lobbyist for the Navy, he was elected in 1982 to a Congress in a district that he didn't reside in until the day the seat opened up. A few years later, he succeeded Barry Goldwater as a senator.

McCain hasn't accomplished much in the Senate. Even his own campaign doesn't trumpet his successes, probably because the few victories he's had still rankle Republicans.

His campaign finance law failed to significantly reduce the role of money in politics. He failed to get a big tobacco bill through the Senate. He's failed to change the way Congress spends money; his bill to give the president a line-item veto was declared unconstitutional, and the system of pork and earmarks continues unabated. He failed to reform the immigration system.":

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...x?guid={4914192B-12AF-4623-AB18-5EFE91204B04}

"The planes he was flying crashed twice and once collided with power lines, but he received no major injuries.":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCain

And that insidious snorting laugh: can we really put up with that for 4 years?

#25     Aug 8, 2008
  6. bkveen3

bkveen3

You obviously have no clue about naval aviation. Flight training is extremely dangerous. Almost every pilot has close calls or actual incidents. By his own admittance he didn't want to attend the Naval Academy. He hated his father for forcing him to go. He rebelled the entire time he was there, but as an admirals son its hard to get thrown out. His attitude though is what suited him perfectly for aviation. Back then as it is now naval aviators are cocky and arrogant. They have to be because when you start to doubt yourself people die. The fire on the USS Forestal was started by a missle miss firing on the deck and striking another plane. That plane was McCain's. There is footage of him escaping the plane on fire while rolling threw burning jet fuel. He was excused from service in Vietnam for the injuries he sustained but instead decided to switch carriers and return to combat. The incidence in which he got shot down was impossible to avoid. He was targeted by hidden SAM sites and had 6 ground to air missiles following him. Instead of ejecting before impact he decided to risk death and complete the bombing run he was currently doing. The first missile to hit the aircraft did not completely destroy it so he was given an opportunity to escape. As for his time in prison he was treated the worst by the testimony of all the POW's. Because of his fathers stature he was desperately wanted for propaganda movies. He was even offered early release to embarrass his family but as a true officer would he remained with the other men. I suggest you do a little research before you criticize someone who has sacrificed so much for our country. I don't care if you disagree with every aspect of his political career, you can't attack someone like thats personal character. Spend three years by yourself in a dark hole with shackles on your feet and then tell me how it feels when people call you an ass. Have some respect.

#26     Aug 8, 2008
  7. Nanook

Nanook

"You obviously have no clue about naval aviation." (I'm a pilot)
    "By his own admittance he didn't want to attend the Naval Academy."
    "He hated his father for forcing him to go."
    "He rebelled the entire time he was there,..."
    "...naval aviators are cocky and arrogant."
    "...I suggest you do a little research " (I did a 5 second search and came up with the links)
    "...you can't attack someone like thats personal character." (who's attacking -- I'm just stating written public documentation)
    "Have some respect." (Wow! Nothing, absolutely nothing in your response makes me want to vote McCain!)

Wanna try some non-emotional factual arguments and documented truths to make me change my opinion? I have not committed my vote to anyone -- yet.

#27     Aug 8, 2008
  8. bkveen3

bkveen3

If you don't like the guy then don't vote for him. I'm not going to try and convince you to. If you don't believe the things i wrote then thats cool. You may or may not like my source but I learned it all on the history channel/faith of my fathers. He was 22 when he graduated the academy, he was 30 something when he was shot down. He may have been forced to go but I hardly believe he stayed in another 10 years because his daddy made him. Unlike most people he had no problem admitting that there was a time that he was immature. We all need a chance to grow up.

#28     Aug 8, 2008
  9. The question was not who can spend money better, the question was which candidate is better for the stock market. We all know that we're better at spending our own money, but that doesn't mean the stock market is going up. If taxes go up, we won't spend our $10,000 at Wal-Mart, but the government may instead turn around and spend that 1 trillion on the medical or military industrial complex. Then Lockheed Martin and Boeing go up to take the place of Wal-Mart going down. Republicans have been in charge for 7 years now and the economy has gotten worse. Sure the stock market doubled between 2003-2007 but that was purely fueled by 4 trillion more in national debt, inflation (a weaker dollar), excess spending on war, and lower net wages for the average person resulting in higher profits for company's, in my opinion. Just wait till the government is forced to massively raise taxes and lower spending to pay back the Chinese, then you'll see a nice decline in the stock market. Either that or they'll print up more money out of thin air, then you'll be begging for $200 oil. By the way, I am a big republican, I just hate what my party has become. I will not be voting for McCain.

#29     Aug 8, 2008
  10. huh

huh

You do have a point there. The only thing that the demoncrats and redumblicants have consistently shown is the ability to waste tax dollars which helps either defense companies or other retailers. Whether its redumblicants wasting our money rebuilding a country with an 83 billion dollar surplus from oil revenues or demoncrats wasting our tax dollars on pointless social programs, the end result is the same......OUR TAX DOLLARS ARE WASTED. So thats why I tend to vote for gridlock because I'd rather have the president spending time arguing with the congress and spending less time wasting our money.

Yeah I'm jaded but I can trade and make money with gridlock hence why I will probably vote for the crypt keeper since I'm assuming the demons will hold the senate and house.

#30     Aug 8, 2008