mcafee updating startup menu ???

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by eastside, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Seems like the automatic mcafee antivirus updates are placing msn messenger in my startup menu. Is anyone having this problem ??? I don't want it in there.

Of course mcafee is denying that their program is doing this, but I am almost 100% positive it is the mcafee updates doing this, since I remove the program (msmsgs) from the startup menu (run/msconfig/startup tab), & it does not get placed back in there even when I restart my machine, only when a mcafee upgrade is installed it is placed back in the startup. I check right after the mcafee upgrade & it is in the startup menu again. It's very annoying.

Is it possible that ANOTHER program is placing it in there when an antivirus upgrade is installed ??

Thanks a lot for any help & good trading to all.

2. That hasn't happened to me (running the 2004 and 2005 versions of VirusScan). In some cases, the consumer version of McAfee will start up IE to do its updates, and maybe your IE is doing something that starts up MS Messenger. You can actually uninstall MS Messenger - I did so on my home system because the damn thing opens up ports in the firewall for itself.

3. Thank you for the response...I guess it must be something else since no one else seems to be having this issue with mcafee.

4. Antivirus software is often the summum of irresponsability in software management. I have used McAfee till I dumped it 6 or 7 years ago. Dunno much about it right now.

I then went to that other dog, Norton-Symantec, which is even worse. Norton messes up your system so much, especially since the 2003 version. You can't uninstall it and they fixed it that you can't get a competitor's software to run. In fact they even screw up on their bloody own live-updating, for paid up subscriptions. The only (practical) way to get rid of this crap is to reinstall XP.

Having, just bought two new notebooks with XP shoved down my throat of course. Guess what, Norton AV sits on it free for ONE MONTH. Shit. Can't get rid of the thing again. That's the way the M$ monopoly cornered the marked and makes all these foolish hardware/software clowns dance to their tunes. (luckily, XP is absolutely a secondary toy for me right now)

My experience about a technically good AV for XP is Kaspersky (others may exist that I don't have experience with). I never ran into OS screw up situations with Kaspersky. Uninstall works cleanly as it is supposed to. Automatic updates every 2hrs never fail. BTW, I also had good experience with Kaspersky Anti Hacker.

NEVER McAfee. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER Norton-Symantec.

nononsense

5. Sorry to drag this up again....but....

Twice I uninstalled & reinstalled mcafee & the problem was fixed so the only other thing that I suspect is AIM.

I use AIM very rarely & this past time I used it the problem with mcafee started again.

So I am not sure if this is possible or makes any sense but as ridiculous as it sounds....it seems that by using AIM, AIM is doing something such that whenever the mcafee automatic updates are downloaded, msn messenger is placed in the startup menu. The uninstall/reinstall of mcafee fixes it.

AIM is very annoying & intrusive...