Mbtrading site navigator and site down!!!

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by innovest_11, Dec 7, 2006.

1. aqtrader

aqtrader

just phoned them cos I could not cancel some of open orders. was told the equity server still down. they are working on the issue.

#31     Dec 7, 2006
  2. They had better check their IT system and infrastructure for high availability and failover capability, seems that their standby system not working too?

#32     Dec 7, 2006
  3. GTS

GTS

The fact that not only is their trading infrastructre hosed but you can't even get to the home page of their web site (not talking about logging in here) certainly makes it seem like something major got screwed up, maybe network problems.

You would think by now they could have at least put up a static web page saying we're down, rather than having people greeted with "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error"

#33     Dec 7, 2006
  4. GTS

GTS

MBT chat is back up (actually it looks like everything came back at the same time, including the web site)

#34     Dec 7, 2006
  5. Every broker has these problems crop up on occasion. In my experience, they happen rarely with MBT. In any event, Any serious trader should have a 'back up' account in place ready to place offsetting or hedge trades in the event a phone call cannot be made to their primary broker - irrespective of the broker you ordinarily use. Preparation in anticipation of the eventual snafu's which do occur in any technology environment significantly reduces the stress levels under these circumstances.

While I can empathize with those individuals who feel 'stuck' in a position unable to exit, proper preparation would have resulted in nothing more than a minor inconvenience, rather than a mounting monetary loss. As in any business, the responsibility for preparation falls on the individual.

Trading is no different than any other business. Treat it like one.

Good trading to you all.

- Spydertrader

#35     Dec 7, 2006
  6. GTS

GTS

On chat they said the cause was an electrical switch failure that took out power to the whole building and it also took down the phones :eek:

No matter how many precautions you take there are always going to be rare but vulnerable single points of failure.

#36     Dec 7, 2006
  7. Would it have made a difference when i placed the order, if I had a stop in place?

What I'm asking is does MBT store orders locally or are they sent to the Merc and CBOT?

Thanks

#37     Dec 7, 2006
  8. MBT-Steve

MBT-Steve Sponsor

Folks.........

MBT is fully restored and I will report back later with an explanation to our findings with this critical point of failure. I need some time to analyze.

Regards,

Steve

#38     Dec 7, 2006
  9. In my experience, these guys know about customer service, I checked the news if their was an earthquake in CA lol....

#39     Dec 7, 2006

10. No offsite backup, failover for trade servers? Or all eggs in one basket (building?)
    :confused:

#40     Dec 7, 2006