Mbps VS. Ping, which one is more important? advice needed!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SuperLimitUser, Aug 18, 2007.

which one should i use?

1. CABLE

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. ADSL

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. You can do load balancing if you go with higher end NICs, NIC that can do NIC Teaming. I believe Intel and HP carry these kinds of NICs.

#21     Aug 19, 2007
  2. I have multiple PC's. I run a T1 and a cable connection. Speed/reliablity critical stuff runs on the t1, not so critical stuff on the cable.

#22     Aug 19, 2007
  3. mde2004

mde2004

cable kicks ass..

#23     Aug 19, 2007
  4. Correct. Failover only.

But correct me if i'm wrong, you can't load balance secure datastreams like quotes or broker connections anyway. Right?

The main purpose of multiple internet connections for me is redundancy.

#24     Aug 19, 2007
  5. You can load balance locally but not to your broker through the internet.

The only way to fully load balance between 2 internet connection is if you can justify having your ISP give you a BGP AS, and your own static IP from both ISP. Most businesses do it this way so when one ISP go down, customers won't even miss a heartbeat.

I doubt the ISPs will allocate a BGP AS to you unless you can really really justify it.

#25     Aug 19, 2007

6. BGP AS ???????

#26     Aug 19, 2007
  7. JackR

JackR

BGP = Border Gateway Protocol
    AS = Autonomous System

Really beyond the realm of ET users. You can probably Google this but it more for ISP's and large scale internet users (corporate networks). Not us simple types.

Jack

#27     Aug 19, 2007
  8. tradethetrade

tradethetrade Vendor

Whatever you use, you will be fine but go with the lowest ping time connection if and only if it's the most reliable connection. I am around 200ms scalping from Brazil. My order hops around some 15 servers till NY so don't put too much energy thinking about these small details. Most trading shops will be around 5ms-30ms with their T-gazillion lines.

#28     Aug 19, 2007

9. are you using the 1.5Mbps T1 or 3Mbps T1?

#29     Aug 19, 2007
  10. 1.5

#30     Aug 20, 2007