MBA in UK/Australia VS US

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by malaka56, Nov 27, 2005.

1. malaka56

malaka56

Yes, I agree. for my the latter question is really the issue. But being a young guy with little/no experience, getting the proverbial "foot" in the door is quite tough nowadays.
    Also, all this talk of MBAs makes it sound like I am a career-oriented workaholic maniac, when in actuality I am a lazy 20-something dreamer who would probably be much better suited to running my own firm like ssternlight's sister, then working for a large corporation. I've tried my hand at my own business already, but found difficulty getting the "right" kind of clients in the niche market I was aiming at. Also, the responsibility of being a business owner is overwhelming at my age, when a simple job would give me more social outlets and opportunities to grow in other areas of my life.

Lately I have been looking at an MBA as the path that gives the greatest reward for the least amount of risk given the same input of energy (opposed to other lower salaried career oriented paths), and self-employement as having much greater risk, but with the same (or arguably greater) potential yields as well.
    Meaning, what is required to get a very good job with a top MBA is consistent HARD WORK, and lots of it. If you do this, get phenomenal grades, and have no other significant drawbacks, you will be close to being guanranteed a great salary/position. However, if you look at the highschool dropouts who are millionaires/wizards, their risk taken is off the charts (what is the ratio to drop-out non-millionaires to millionaires?) but their success phenomonal. But obviously the dropoup millionaire is a statistical anomoly, and the ivy-league MBA millionaire much more common.
    I find it interesting to look at it risk/reward wise.

I suppose the trick is to find what degree of risk fits my personality best and go with it.
    However, people may scoff, but having a graduate degree/MBA has more value than just job placement and career advancement - endless small social perceptions from the public and your peers that may be difficult to quantify or relate to career/financial matters, not to mention self-esteem and maintaining the same level of education as your "socioeconomic" class.

Just some thoughts.

#11     Nov 28, 2005