Mazda Speed RX-8

Discussion in 'Politics' started by waggie945, Feb 5, 2004.

1. I stopped by my local Mazda dealer once again today and couldn't believe how well I fit in the driver's seat of the new RX8. It kind of reminded me of the old Datsun 240Z back in the mid-70's.

I'm 6'1" and my head did not hit the roof of the car, unlike what Rearden-Metal mentioned in his post about the G35, which I also noticed. Moreover, the pedal-placement on the RX8 was absolutely perfect quite unlike the Audi S4 which has an uncomfortably high brake pedal.

Fully-loaded, sans Navigation system: $32,000

:)

#11     Feb 7, 2004
  2. I too looked at the G-35, and I am not quite as tall. (6 feet even). And like you guys, my head brushed the top of the G-35 with the sunroof. But with a little seat and wheel adjustment, I could have lived with it. But I decided I really wanted a convertible more than a luxury car. I knew the G-35 was not going to issue a ragtop. The Z-350 convertible was just about to become available, but I did not like the interior of the Z as much as the Infinity. The Infinity is outright luxurious compared to the Nissan Z.

I ended up with the BMW z4. Plenty of headroom, a ton of legroom.

When the RX-8 came out, a very interesting thing happened. Mazda made an error in their horsepower rating. I forget the exact numbers, but they over stated the horsepower by something like 40 HP. To make up for this, they offered the people who bought the cars (before correcting their HP rating) a choice of a full refund if they returned the car, or a rebate of $500. My neighbor had bought one. He had it for about a week, and though he liked the car a lot, he decided that he liked the idea of a convertible. I didn't know the guy except to wave to, but he lives on my street. He saw me in getting out of my car one day, and asked if he could sit in it. He is 6'5 or so. Towers over me by a lot.

He went back to Mazda, got a refund, and bought the Z4. It is amazing that the Z4 has that much head room. The RX-8 just looks roomier from the outside, but according to him, the BMW was better for his size (maybe he just talked himself into it).

I know if I put the seat all the way back in the Z4, I cannot get the clutch pedal all the way down without making it a stretch. So I can see how there is plenty of leg room for a guy that tall. But the headroom issue is something else. The convertible top is lined (there is a manual unlined top, which probably has even a bit more head room...but who's buying a BMW with a manual top??). But it just blows me away that the Z4, which really is a MUCH smaller car overall than the G-35 has that much more headroom (of course with the top down, Shaq or King Kong would have enough headroom:)).

I will say, as much as I love the BMW, (and I think it's all in all the best car I have ever owned), the potential of the Wankel motor is amazing. It seems almost unfair that so much power can be derived from so little displacement.

I had an RX-7. One of the most fun cars I ever owned. 1979 (first year). Pretty damn fast for a car with a motor with the displacement of a big (not huge) motorcycle.

What I remember most about the RX-7 was that when I first got it, it took a while to get used to how smooth it was. I got into the habit of looking at the tach to be sure I had not stalled. I had tried to start the car too many times while the motor was running those first weeks. Also, there was a buzzer to let you know you had hit red line. The car revved so freely you just would not know it if you were not used to the shift speeds, or if you did not watch the tach. (The BMW also revs pretty freely, but there is a governor that cuts the fuel off at red line...(computer chips have changed cars dramatically since 1979).

All in all, the rotary is a great motor...... I think the only drawback is fuel efficiency. And I am sure they will figure that out. But it must be a significant problem since they only have used the rotary in sports cars since the RX-7 was introduced. Prior to that, the rotary motors were used in very plain family cars...station wagons and typical early 70's "box cars". I think there was even a little pickup truck with a rotary motor.

Gas was a lot cheaper in those days.

Peace,
    :)RS

#12     Feb 7, 2004
  3. Not sure what Lexus or Mercedes SUV you are thinking about. I had a Lexus RX 300 (now its the 330). Some would say it isn't truly an SUV. And in a way, that's probably so...if a true SUV is built on a truck chassis. Like the big Lexus SUV LX-470.

But I LOVED the RX. It was smoother riding than any other car I ever owned (I always owned sportier cars). It wasn't the most fun car to drive, but for every day use, it was ideal. Plenty of room, plenty of power, and a GREAT stereo!!!!

In Florida, the only place where more SUVs are two wheel drive than not, the only thing I wasn't thrilled about was that the car had front wheel drive. I am not sure about how these cars sell elsewhere. I know that Nissan ONLY sells the Pathfinders with two wheel drive in Florida.

I would imagine the RX-300 (330) with all wheel drive would handle a bit better than my front wheel RX....but still, it drove like a dream. I just had to keep in mind that I needed to slow down on the corners:). But the car never had a squeak or a rattle. Never ever had a thing go wrong with it. Everything was so well thought out, that it was just amazing.

Did I mention I loved the stereo? I LOVED the stereo!!!

We now have a Dodge Durango. It is a joke compared to the Lexus. A true POS. My wife wanted it because she loved the way it looked. Now we have 8 months left on the lease, and she's counting the days. It has rear wheel drive. Still no fun to drive. The new ones look even better. But we learned our lesson. Hard to believe that Chrysler and Mercedes are the same company. Why can't they get these American cars right? Why are the German and Japanese companies able to build cars here in the USA that are so good, while the American car companies can't? Not even the American brands that are owned by Mercedes?

Peace,
    :)RS

#13     Feb 7, 2004
  4. Thanks for the great posts!

Believe it or not, the Mazda-Speed version of the RX8 which is highlighted in the March issue of Road & Track emphasizes even more throttle response! Talk about revving like a motorcycle!

All I know is that I don't know where else you can buy such a technologically advanced piece of equipment at the fully-equipped price of only $32,000. And believe it or not, there is actually real room in the back seat for 2 people. As I said, I am 6'1" and couldn't believe that the controls fit so well, the pedals were perfect for heel and toe, and I didn't bump my head on the roof either.

The Road & Track article also talks about how the Mazda-Speed version is lowered another 3/4 of an inch, and has a lot more chassis strengthening designed into the car, implying that a hydraulically powered Supercharger isn't too far away . . .

:p

#14     Feb 7, 2004
  5. GGSAE

GGSAE

ugh, you actually like the Z3/Z4...i've driven both standard and automatic, not a fan at all. I would take the miati over that anyday.

#15     Feb 7, 2004
  6. GGSAE

GGSAE

Just a quick reference to the Benz SUV...as much as i love the nameplate, i would much rather take it's rival the X5, or even the MDX over it. Now that the AMG model has been discontinued the ML 320/350's are a joke compared to the other luxury line SUVS. They drive like garbage and look like even worse.

#16     Feb 7, 2004
  7. Z3/Z4? What does one have to do with the other? They are two completely different cars.

If you had really driven them, you would know that.

Take a Miata over that? LOL!!!! Name one quality of the Miata you prefer over the Z4 (or even the Z3). Other than price.

Peace,
    RS

#17     Feb 8, 2004
  8. First off, the Miata needs some horsepower.

Secondly, the car is starting to creep up into more expensive price points of its competition. This is not good.

Thirdly, the car has some very nice lines this year.
    Unfortunately, word on the street has it that those "British" styling ques are going out the window for something that is much more "rounded".

Oh well.

P.S. How did everyone like that Ford GT40 commercial during the Superbowl last Weekend? Pretty awesome eh?

I couldn't believe how long that commercial lasted.
    It was almost as if I was watching something over on SpeedChannel. Very nicely done!

:D

#18     Feb 8, 2004
  9. lescor

lescor

Yes, that was a great commercial.

If you are talking luxury suv's you've got to include the Volvo XC-90. I've got 5 weeks to go until my 6 cylinder, twin turbo arrives and I can't wait. Awesome vehicle. I wanted a third row seat, so I didn't look at the Lexus, but it is also a fantastic machine.

I drove the new Cadillac SRX with the 6 and the Volvo blew it off the road in terms of performance. That monstrous sun roof is pretty nice though.

#19     Feb 8, 2004
  10. OK....im officially in love....a buddy picked me up yesterday in the new Z....two seater.....solid through and through....even has a stop watch on the dash to time yourself

#20     Feb 9, 2004