Maybe FORGET VISTA Altogether?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by gnome, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnome

gnome

In 2009, Microsoft has it planned to tell us all, "throw away your recently purchased Vista... and buy our new Vienna OS".

2. 9999

Gates at his finest...

3. Non-stop stupidity from the software buying public.

4. notouch

notouch

The only thing Gates will be supplying by then is anti-malaria medication, to be fair to him.

5. Joe

Joe

I disagree with any date they give you. They are so slow in coming out with new products; most likely tons of delays and we wont see anything new till 1st quarter of 2011.

IMHO
    Joe

6. I read an interview with Ballmer at MSFT and he said they waited to long to get Vista out and focused too much on fixing XP. The 'plan' at this point is to crank out new OS about every 2-3 years.

So, if they go ahead with this plan, it should make it interesting when it comes time to upgrade and such. Personally, I am more interested in better versions of Office, not necessarily the OS.

7. Actually, 2009 is the probably right time to move to VISTA.

For mission critical applications, like a trading workstation, in my experience it makes good business sense to wait 12-24 months after a major O/S release before adopting it.

This gives vendors the time they need to get their applications and hardware drivers working properly (flawlessly) with the O/S.

8. I've been giving serious thought to switching my trading platform to Linux.

My favorite trading platforms work under Linux and my API development is portable to Linux.

I'm hard-pressed to come up with real reasons to even dual-boot Windows. What apps do I really need Windows for? Maybe some games. But word processing, spreadsheets, databases? All covered very nicely under Linux.

9. maxpi

maxpi

I need one computer for trading and one computer for everything else. I think I will run XP on the business machine and get an Apple for photoshop, web surfing, music, etc.

I have such bad experiences with multi media and XP that I just can't go forward with Windows for that. Currently I can't play videos sometimes and the simplest photoshop application, the one that organizes your pictures, won't work!! This is on a fresh install of XP too. I just reached the point where I say NEVER AGAIN......

Essentially, at this point, to me, Windows makes no sense at all for half the stuff I do and a Mac makes no sense at all for the other half but each on it's own turf.... that's gotta be the way to go.

I'll upgrade to Vista or the next mess when I absolutely have to probably.

10. As long as everything I need runs on XP, I have no plans on upgrading to vista.... I could care less about the eye candy type stuff.

#10     Feb 25, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.