May they rest in peace: dead firms

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by javaboy, Sep 12, 2003.

1. I don't know too much about them, but if I remember correctly, they "hire" traders...they don't take traders money. If you're only an employee, it wouldn't matter as much....just check their balance sheets. If that has changed, then you would need to ask them.

And, to be fair, FNYS has never popped up on the "questionable" radar, and I have heard good things in the past...and now that Don from Generic is over there, I expect that they're doing well.

We'll know more soon.

Don

#41     Jun 18, 2004
  2. of Assent?

#42     Jun 18, 2004
  3. Well, hmmm? Just a personal thought. Sungard sold BRUT, which may (just MAY) mean that they have similar plans for Assent. One thing I know for sure is that they (Assent/Sungard) will have to re-classify their traders $millions into a Liability for the reasons stated above. And since they are a Public company, they don't qualify for the extention of time to Dec. 15, 2004...they may have to comply now. This would mean that they have to infuse a heck of a lot of capital into the venture, or dramatically start cutting back.

I'm more concerned about the traders than some of the firms. If the smaller firms haven't kept all the money in cash, or have other outstanding loans and/or liabilities (leases, etc.), the deposit money may not even be there. We don't want to see an industry wide "black eye" by leaving traders stranded without the money they thought they had.

I don't mind answering a couple of questions, but please understand that this whole thing is just now starting to happen. I want to refer many of your questions to the regulators.

This accounting change was broght about, in part, by the ENRON fiasco...using and reusing the same pot of money to inflate values of other LLC's.

I hope that everyone followed my advice when I told them to check the damn balance sheets before signing into any firms, and to stay the heck away from the sub-llc's.

Don

#43     Jun 18, 2004
  4. virgin

virgin

Don,

You warned us more than enough, the smart one's have lis-

tened, so you saved some asses..thanks in their name !

#44     Jun 18, 2004
  5. Last I head Kanter had retired and Jim(?) in Chicago took over. Are they flurishing or so-so?

#45     Jun 18, 2004
  6. PRAISE FOR DON BRIGHT///// well don, i know nothing about your business, but reading this thread about all the dead bodies lying around in the prop daytrading world.... all i can say is.... you and your brother must be doing something right... GOOD GOING!!!!!

#46     Jun 18, 2004
  7. Well, thanks..I appreciate the nice words. There are other good people as well...and here is the Bob Green (CPA) quick recap and some other good info.

http://www.greencompany.com/PropTraders/Traders.shtml#fasb

Don

#47     Jun 18, 2004
  8. Keep us posted on anything new Don. Thanks for the info we appreciate it.

#48     Jun 18, 2004
  9. moffitt

moffitt

What is going on at Hold Brothers?? Anything?

#49     Jun 18, 2004
  10. why are u aksing about hb?

#50     Jun 18, 2004