May they rest in peace: dead firms

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by javaboy, Sep 12, 2003.

1. reg

reg

Landmark Securities

Cornerstone Securities

The DayTrading Company

#21     Sep 19, 2003
  2. zdreg

zdreg

wgat happened to ceo of harbor securities?

#22     Jun 11, 2004
  3. the dubiously named WORLDCO.......went from 300 to 840 traders during my time there, and went from 840 to 200 during the last 8 months of the firm.......unbelievable, yet an appropriate retracement considering they started with less than 100 circa 1994.........biggest and most emblematic failure?.....the bigger question is who's next?.....it looks like a three horse race.

grimer11

#23     Jun 11, 2004
  4. There were also a ton of tiny fly by nights that disappeared.

#24     Jun 11, 2004
  5. mrmoose

mrmoose

?.....the bigger question is who's next?.....it looks like a three horse race.

gwhich are the three horses? someone want to start a death pool?

#25     Jun 16, 2004
  6. SIZEUP

SIZEUP

Don, if Bright were to close or decide to exit the business, that 10 million would go to unwinding: paying leases and other creditors..............so its not true that a trader would have to lose his money plus 10 mill. before there is ANY risk. Who knows what type of LIABILITIES a firm has, could be much greater than the 10 million class A capital. Worldco had 7+ million in class A and the guys only got 2/3 of their money. I think a more important factor to assess risk in a firm is their profitability and risk management. A firm that is highly profitable will less likely go under. Telltale signs of a firm in trouble are lowering buying power, giving crazy cheap deals, talks of buyout, change in management. Good luck

#26     Jun 16, 2004
  7. 1)GENERIC

2)ASSENT

3)HOLD BROTHERS

#27     Jun 17, 2004
  8. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Actually... I think that Don raises a very valid point. His feedback about balance sheets for the firm is a question that every prop trader should ask any firm that they are considering joining.

- Greg

#28     Jun 17, 2004
  9. JAVABOY.... tradecast....year 2000.... in a typical 6 hour trading day.... i had 10 -25 disconnects... their smart order routing was as clever as a box of rocks.... please i am laughing now when i think of all the crap firms and scumbag brokers i had to overcome to still be in the game....

#29     Jun 17, 2004
  10. r.i.p. Navillus Securities.

#30     Jun 17, 2004