Maximum screen resolutions from 512MB cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr.Consistent, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Question 1)
    What maximum screen resolution can I get from a G210 512MB video cards? Will each 512MB video card support at least two monitors running at 1920 x 1200? Or would each card be capable of supporting one screen at 2560 x 1600 and the second screen at 1920 x 1200?

Question 2)
    My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R P55
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=3240
    and I’d like to know if there is a way to run six monitors on it instead of only four? The two G210 512MB video cards will fill two slots, and so the motherboard will still have some slots free, though different types of slots. Here are Expansion Slots that are on the motherboard.

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)(The PCIEX16 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)

2 x PCI Express x1 slots

3 x PCI slots

I’d like to add two more monitors, to have total of six instead of just four. If that’s possible with my existing setup, which slot would be the best solution?

Thank you for your opinions

2. Specs say your video card will support 2, monitors at 2560x1600.

You SHOULD be able to run 6 monitors with a PCIEx1 dualhead card. However, some mobos won't run a monitor from the x1. You'll just have to try and see.

None of my computers will run an x1 video card from an x1 slot.. But the ones with an x8 slot will run x1 cards.

3. Hey Scat: I've never run into a situation like that but something comes to mind...

Could OP buy two cards and try running them in x16, x1 to see what happens,and if he is sucessful, buy another one to put in the x8?

4. I looked up that card (after previous post) and I come up with various manufacturers with varying interfaces. I just saw an x16 card at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...?EdpNo=5690048&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs and it has one DVI and one VGA.

If you provide a hyperlink to the specific product (card) you're considering, you'll have less surprises after you spend your money.

5. Well, theoretically if you can mount a PCIE card into a slot, it's supposed to work... that was a major facet of PCIE utility.

I don't know why the x1 video cards don't always work in x1 slot.. ?? May have something to do with the BIOS and therefore may not be a consistent problem across all hardware.

My x1 cards won't run in an x16 slot either... so I wouldn't try to be exotic.

If you want to run 3 dualheads, safest mobo to buy is one with either 3, x16s... or 2, x16s and at least one x4 or x8... the x1 video cards seem to work OK in x4 or x8s.

Needless to say, if you want to run 3 or 4 monitors, you should give some thought to the mobo first. If you want to run 5 or more, there are even fewer good options.

6. Thank you for your advice :)