Maximum position size for a single stock based on liquidity

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by helpme_please, Jan 3, 2021.

1. It is risky to put in an excessively large position size in a single stock which has limited liquidity.

I would like to ask the elite traders here are there any rule of thumb that you use when deciding on the maximum position size that you put into a stock based on its liquidity?

This is not an easy number to optimise. Too small means lower returns when one deserves more. Too large means losses or even ruin. Hope to hear from the experts here.

2. tonyf

tonyf

Sizing for me is a function of conviction level and not risk.
    Controversial, but that's how I roll.

3. Some would say, "2% of recent average daily handle" (Volume x share price)

.5% of the handle would be more conservative

.sigma and helpme_please like this.
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

depends on your holding period and intent as that will determine how fast you have to get out.

5. apo99

apo99

I trade a lot of iliquid equities on the tsx, maybe 20-30% of the daily volume is what i make up

6. What were the problems you encountered when trading significant percentage of daily volume?

Did you have problems exiting your trades in the illiquid equities?

7. apo99

apo99

might take 1-2 days to get out, lots of partial fills, works in your favor too when its going your way tho

8. .sigma

.sigma

Woah? What kind of weight are you pushing?

9. apo99

apo99

Less than you think,

i probably make up 1.5% of the trading volume on the TSX venture. Just because of how small it is

10. Position sizing is so critical mathematically to ultimate success from what I've discovered. More so than you instinctively think. There are lots of formula's out there...but which one is the best...

#10     Feb 4, 2021