Maximum ES contracts you would trade with $3,800 account

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by increasenow, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Tums

Tums

max ES contracts = 0

you can trade 1 YM.

#11     Apr 17, 2008
  2. What you are asking is...
    "how far will a car travel on a tank of gas if you do not know the rate of consumption"

Provide the correct answer to this and you will have successfully replied to your own question.

I know it sounds boring but there is a certain touch of reality required if you are to become a consistently profitable Trader.

Good luck with your upside down riddle.

regards
    f9

#12     Apr 17, 2008

3. I agree, with $3800 i would start the the YM first.. $5 per point

#13     Apr 17, 2008
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

NO

#14     Apr 17, 2008
  5. If you only have a $3800 account, I cannot imagine you are experienced at trading, also due to the fact that you started this thread in the first place.

Therefore, as a newb, you should trade no more than 1. And this is after just watching the market for sometime so your trades arent just throwing money away but rather you have somewhat of a plan of attack and also money mgmt in place.

If you even think of trading more than 1 lot at this point, you are crazy.

#15     Apr 17, 2008
  6. I've been trading ES daily for quite some time, and the max leverage I have ever used is 1 per $5,000. Usually about 1 per 10,000. I have very strict risk parameters however.

Practice with YM first. The fact that you had to ask this question shows that you are going to experience a learning curve on the trading end anyway. Might as well lose small. Most of the 90+ percent that fail at trading ES, simply do so because they run out of money before they get good at it.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

#16     Apr 17, 2008
  7. weird replies as another poster in another thread took an account from $1,000 to $65,000 in a number of months...trading eminis---hmmm...

#17     Apr 17, 2008
  8. yeah and that happens oh so freakin rarely.

Do you really want answers that are truthful and honest or are you only looking for answers that agree with you?

#18     Apr 17, 2008

9. yes but thats no guarantee you will be able to do the same.

Seriously with 4k i wouldnt even be trading 1 ES. maybe 1 ym or 1yg (the mini gold 3$ a tic) or something else. Especially if I were you. I would invest the 4k somewhere else. you will lose it all in a matter of weeks.

#19     Apr 17, 2008
  10. ts888

ts888

I personally do 1 per 5K so with 3,800 I would not be doing anything.

to really answer this question though depends on the size of your average stop loss. For me, I do 1.5 ES pts as a stop. If I were taking larger stops then I would adjust accordingly to less leverage and would not be even doing the 1 per 5K that I mentioned above.

just my opinion

#20     Apr 17, 2008