Mattel apologizes to China for product recalls

Discussion in 'Politics' started by james_bond_3rd, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Here's an article about the same subject from NY times.
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/bus...1190375059-4Tm1+nRwfNHNZ05IVoBm0Q&oref=slogin

A cynical reader might interpret this as “Dance you capitalist pig, Dance! “

2. I've seen it on every cable news station all day, including your arch enemy Fox.

3. Really?

How about this part from the article you linked:

"In fact, new research from two business professors shows that recalls due to problems with the U.S. maker's design accounted for the vast majority -- about 76 percent -- of the 550 U.S.toy recalls since 1988."

And what about this earlier article
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/19/b...f298d5fad8155b1a&ei=5087&excamp=GGBUtoyrecall
    Titled "As More Toys Are Recalled, Trail Ends in China," implying that Chinese made toys are getting more recalls, when in fact, if you read the text, you see this,

"It also means that China today is responsible for about 60 percent of all product recalls, compared with 36 percent in 2000.

Much of the rise in China’s ranking on the recall list has to do with its corresponding surge as the world’s toy chest: toys made in China make up 70 to 80 percent of the toys sold in the country, according to the Toy Industry Association."

In other words, China accounts for 80 percent of the toys sold (the newer article you linked actually says more than 80 percent), but 60 percent of the recalls. By simple math, Chinese made toys are safer than toys made elsewhere.

Enough with China bashing...

4. As far as I know, I'm not bashing china.
    I was pointing out the coercing that happens on behalf of governments.
    When the government ( or in some cases employers) remind you of where ''a large part of your annual profit “comes from, you'd better listen.

Also, in the article I linked to this caught my eye
    The carefully worded apology, delivered with company lawyers present, underscores China's central role in Mattel's business. The world's largest toy maker has been in China for 25 years and about 65 percent of its products are made in China.

If you were Mattel, after being “reminded” of where “a large part of your profits” come from, Would you dance to their tune? I would.

5. Tums

Tums

What would happen to Mattel's Christmas if China, in the name of product safety, inspects and tests all toy exports for the next 3 months?