Matrox still the gold standard for 2d output?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crunchyknees60, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Hi All

If u want the clearest 2d and least fatigueing output for a desktop multi monitor setup would that be a Matrox video card? Im definitely looking for a fanless video card.

tx

Crunchy

2. Wholly crap now there is a great name I've not heard in forever. Didn't they stop making cards years ago? I'm probably wrong.

3. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

Probably an on board integrated chip is all you need. Matrox has been relegated to the fringes and beyond over 15 years ago. Most laptops for gaming offer 3 screens. But if you want to go 4 or 6, then you might still need a specialty card, but 2x 49 in screens will be the same real estate as 8 27" screens

4. How many monitors and at what resolution?

Both Nvidia and AMD have workstation cards to fill just about any need.... all but the lower power/capability cards have fans these days, but they are quiet.

5. ZBZB

ZBZB

Nvidia NVS 295, 310 and 420 were used for 2d with multiple outputs and no fans. Now you get an Intel NUC PC that will support 6 4K outputs without any card.

cobco likes this.
  6. Correct about the NVS 295 being fanless, but the 310 and 420 have fans. The 310 is newer and preferable. It comes with either 512MB VRAM or 1GB VRAM. If running UHD monitors, go for the 1GB version.... ~$25 on eBay. If planning to run 4x, UHD monitors... forget the 310/420. Get a quad card with 2GB VRAM, minimum.

Used NVIDIA cards from eBay are OK. They're high quality and have durability. I bought 295s on eBay (some for as little as $5) and retired them when they were 10 years old and still working perfectly. I'm still running a couple of 310s... they are 2012 vintage.

If OP is running older monitors, he may also need DVI-DP adapters.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    cobco likes this.
  7. Turveyd

Turveyd

Digital, so you either get 100% Perfect Pixel for Pixel or you get a black / white screen, the picture won't be crap on any card, there all the same, that depends on your screen.

8. good ole matrox brings back memories

9. Turveyd

Turveyd

G400 my first multi screen and pretty good game card 2001 ish I'd guess.

10. I headed up a project to bring accelerated opengl to Linux back in the day.

http://utah-glx.sourceforge.net/

its one of the reasons VA gave me pre ipo shares as a gift

new Dell R640 still has the same Matrox hardware...

#10     Feb 16, 2021
    cobco and Turveyd like this.