Matrox just announced a great card...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chagi, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Chagi

Chagi

http://www.matrox.com/mga/media_center/press_rel/2005/millennium_g550_pcie.cfm

[​IMG]

Why is it so great? Because many new standard ATX motherboards with PCI Express tend to feature a x16 graphics card slot, as well as 1 or 2 slots that are only a single lane (x1).

So now one could easily build a new system capable of running 2, 4, or even 6 monitors off a single computer, something that was more difficult to do before at this cost (the tri and quad head cards that Matrox makes are pretty expensive, this card will list for only $139 USD).

More imporantly, dual-DVI video cards are pretty rare in the older PCI format (only Matrox makes them that I'm aware of), so I'm sure that a number of people out there are currently compromising by running some of their LCD panels off an analogue connection.

2. These are nice .. I might also add that you could simply use more than one card rather than a quad head card if you have the open slots to support them .....

3. just a question from those who have done this....

with 2 slots and 2 cards, whether these new ones or previous models, could one move a text box (simple graphic Wordpad or Notepad display) across all 4 screens, effectively crossing over between cards or

are the monitors limited to the cards they are physically connected to? so that the 2 paired screens can not share the same displayed item across the other 2 paired screens?

4. F. d'Anconia

F. d'Anconia Guest

not limited at all. I have 2 matrox cards installed (one pci and one agp) and i can use all 4 monitors as if they were one desktop or four separate desktops, no limitations. stretch 1 window 2, 3, or 4 monitors. whatever you want.

:cool:

5. Banjo

Banjo

you can utilize all the screens for one page. All the vid cards combine to make one desktop. My chart application is one page stretched accross 4 screens. using 2 dual cards. Some where in the diplay config it will ask you if you want to use this monitor as part of the desktop, click yes.
    Should add that then , under the appearance tab I think, you'll have to postion the mons into the correct order so curser moves accross the screens properly.

6. Just got another computer at home with PCI Express slot.

Unluckily I am located in Canada, may have to wait a while before these new cards will be available here :(

7. Neodude

Neodude

But isn't Matrox headquartered in Canada? You should be able to buy it directly from Matrox.

8. Completely forgotten about buying directly from them. Thanks!

9. One limitation to be aware of: DVI max resolution is 1280x1024 - according to the specs. I donlt know why they limit DVI outputs compared to Analog on some cards...

10. Banjo

Banjo

Flat panel native resolution

#10     Jul 14, 2005