Matrox G550 PCIe X1

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FuriousInvestor, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Anybody know if this graphic card's ram is sufficient enough to run two monitors for trading purposes? Or will I need to get the quad matrox pcie x1 quad card with 128 mb. (I'd still run only two monitors)

2. http://www.matrox.com/mga/workstation/3dws/products/mill_gseries/g550_pcie.cfm

It can do these resolutions:

Maximum resolutions (per display)
    Digital: 1280 x 1024
    Analog, main display: 2048 x 1536
    Analog, secondary display: 1600 x 1200

Does that meet your monitor resolution requirements? If yes, then it is sufficient. Any additional Video card RAM will not help you at all for trading purposes.

3. No, I would be getting Samsung syncmaster 204T. It has a 1600 x 1200 resolution. Would I be able to display these monitors in analog? I think these LCD's are only DVI?

Is there any card out there that supports that resolution but on a pcie x1/x4 slot, and not pcie x16.

Thanks

4. I think I got it. That monitor also has a VGA output. I'm sorry, I'm not good with computers...

One last question. Do you think if I added a third monitor on a seperate graphic card, but that monitor is on a DVI output, and not analog. Would there be some kind of problem with the monitors since two are on analog and nother on DVI. Will it look funny streching windows across all three monitors with two being VGA, and one of them being DVI?

5. Surdo

Surdo

I am currently shopping for a new trading system.

Do any boxmaker's factory install a Matrox Quad or Triple video card. If not, what is protocol in ordering a machine with the ability to upgrade the video card. It seems silly to order an extra card. I have installed Dual Matrox cards before, it is really not difficult.

I decided it's time for more screens.

TIA

6. gnome

gnome

If you're going to upgrade to 4 monitors, suggest either (a) 2 X dualhead Matrox or (b) 2 x dualhead Nvidia Quadro NVS 280/285.

Quads are very expensive unless you buy used.

7. Surdo

Surdo

Thank You!

The Dell Dopes only support one Dual card.

8. Silly question I know but here goes..........I had/have a Dual Head GE Force 6600, but when I went to go to 3-4 monitors I pulled it, and bought a used Matrox 200 4 Head from E bay.

Could I have just added another GE Force card? How would I get the pointer/cursor to move accross all 4 screens? Simply extend windows?

9. Ok I found my answer. Just found out Nvidia will be shipping out the NVS 440 card on pcie x1. I can wait for that to come out.

Thanks for the reply!

10. gnome

gnome

You could have added another dualhead or two singlehead cards. Just use Windows Extended Desktop to span all 4 monitors.

#10     Feb 22, 2006