Matrox EpicA to revolutionize thin computing with multi-display

Discussion in 'Events' started by MMD, Mar 27, 2006.

1. nitro

nitro

I am curious, do you have metrics that compare the performance of rDesktop vs Citrix? Also, have you noticed that running a linux client is more efficient than a windows client or the other way around?

nitro

#11     Apr 4, 2006
  2. MMD

MMD

It does seem that Citrix ICA Client and Presentation Server is more optimized than RDP/rDesktop, i.e. Citrix requires less bandwidth than RDP.

We have not yet found one to be more efficient than the other.

#12     Apr 5, 2006
  3. nitro

nitro

thx

nitro

#13     Apr 5, 2006
  4. Reelthing

Reelthing

Does the new server side software up the max 1600x1200 that RDP supports?
    Thanks

#14     Apr 13, 2006
  5. why bother for individual traders - cheaper to dual DVI card for $100.0 ea.

#15     Apr 13, 2006
  6. Hamlet

Hamlet

By thin client I assume you mean your local pc that you would basically only be using to run the RD with your apps running on a remote machine. So for example, if I have a machine with 8 monitors in one location and another with 8 in another location, I can remotely connect to one from the other and be able to utilize the 8 local screens as if I was at the remote location with 8 screens?

Can you tell me which is your best dvi card for 2d apps (text, charts, trading)? When you are using dvi for these purposes, can there be any performance differences, or are all cards the same at that level?

#16     Apr 13, 2006
  7. nitro

nitro

You don't understand the problem this card solves.

Read carefully

nitro

#17     Apr 13, 2006
  8. MMD

MMD

In short - no. For that, you would need to use Citrix or the rdesktop - the Linux RDP client. EpicA software's value lies in its ability to allow multi-monitor awareness and desktop management from the server-side.

#18     May 5, 2006
  9. rusty73

rusty73

Are there any requirements for the thin client, in terms of what OS it runs. Presumably drivers need to be installed on the local device, so is XPe required? Would it work on devices that just support RDP and ICA and have no operating system, such as the Wyse S10?

#19     Jun 22, 2006
  10. MMD

MMD

To run the server-side software, an EpicA card needs to be installed on the client. We have driver for windows (2K, XP, XPe) and linux. Since the S10 does not have a PCI slot it is not a fit for EpicA.

You may want to consider using a Neoware E140 which does have a PCI slot and has been qualified. The software and drivers are now posted at:

http://www.matrox.com/mga/corp/support/epica/drivers_software.cfm

#20     Jun 28, 2006