Matrox Dual Head Portrait Mode?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by .00019orbust, May 24, 2008.

1. I have a pos vostro with all the motherboard limitations to adding an additional graphics card to support 3 monitors.

I've been looking into external video cards. or this matrox dual/triple head.

Looks like its supports something like 1900 x 1200

but will it support 1200 x 1900?

(doesn't have to be those exact specs, but you get the drift/will it support portrait mode)

Thanks

2. Banjo

Banjo

3. Banjo

Banjo

LOL, maybe you've had as much wine as me, scroll down the list to matrox, G550 "DUAL" DVI. Guess you have to check the rest of them out on newegg or similar by the model # to see how many heads they have. That's what I'd do, pain in the ass but what else can you do.

edit: this is just a sw I'm aware of, no personal experience, there are a bunch of people here who could well have a better answer for you, give it through the long weekend for other opinions.

4. no wine, i was just born with fewer brain cells than most.

As it turns out, i didn't specify enough.

I'm specifically looking for the dual head 2 go or triple 2 go.

My deal was i can't put another graphics card into any of my open slots, cause my motherboard blows.

5. Banjo

Banjo

Gnome has this graphic card scenario down pat, if he sees these posts he can definitely advise you.

6. gnome

gnome

Though I have no personal experience here Banjo suggested I chime in, so here goes....

1. The TripleHead2Go, Digital, apparently doesn't support any better resolution than a normal dualhead card.

"... • Flexible device supports both dual-monitor configurations at a maximum resolution of up to 3840 x 1200 (2x 1920x1200) 1 and triple-monitor configurations with a maximum resolution of up to 3840 x 1024 (3x 1280x1024)1 with digital or analog monitors...

2. That Pivot software apparenly supports the Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 (if that's what "?" means) If that's the case, it probably also supports the NVS 290 (they use the same driver and I can swap those cards in my rig without having to reinstall the driver nor reset settings.)

So your best bet is likely to forget about Matrox and get a Quadro NVS 285/290 PCIEx16 card and run 2, 24-28" UXGA monitors. Try rotating your monitors without additional software. If the monitors don't support rotation on their own, then perhaps the Pivot software will work. Perhaps you can return it if not?

One caution... if your rotate TN panel monitors, the horizontal viewing angle is SHARPLY restricted. You might want check that out in advance.