Matlab vs Python for real-time (market making) strategies

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by isotope1, Oct 23, 2017.

1. isotope1

isotope1

I've built an elaborate trading system in Python that trades once per day, and that works well for me.

I'd like to start developing market-making and arbitrage strategies that are much quicker. When I think about what is involved in building such a thing in Python, it's a lot more work than a once-a-day trading system.

I want to know, what are the advantages of MATLAB and all the relevant toolboxes for this kind of work? Has anyone tried using Simulink and treated it as an optimal control problem?

Thanks!

Macca1 likes this.
  2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

May I ask what assets classes?

3. isotope1

isotope1

Cryptocurrencies & their derivatives.

4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

thx

5. 2rosy

2rosy

right tool for the job. it's easier to use java,c#,c++ or similar for something like that. both python and matlab don't really handle threading well

6. Many places use Matlab/Python/R/some custom DSL/combination of these for research/prototyping.

Now let me put it this way, there isn't a single execution engine in any serious shop (read: makes money) that I know of, written in any of the above.

algo_fool, trader42 and digitalnomad like this.
  7. isotope1

isotope1

It's more in the strategy design and prototyping. For execution we can build something separate.