Matlab in Finance

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by nitro, Sep 29, 2004.

1. nitro

nitro

I will probably be attending.

nitro

2. Cool...wish they were doing it in LA.

3. Tell 'em they need to make the resolution of their "time-series objects" finer than one minute :)

4. damir00

damir00 Guest

matlab is a great quantitative platfrom, no question. anybody serious about this might also want to check out Mathematica. yes, it's stoopid expensive, but imo it is much more naturally suited to the kinds of things quants-in-training are likely to trying.

5. nitro

nitro

Will do. I do not know much about it that is why I am going.

nitro

6. prophet

prophet

Damir, could you elaborate on this? Thanks.

Here is a point-by-point comparison of Matlab, Mathematica and others:
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~monte/ncrunch.html
    Comments: This is from 1997. Anyone know of a more recent comparison? Mathematica includes somewhat more functions than Matlab. Matlab's average performance was tested to be 5 times better than Mathematical for various numerical operations. While I haven't used Mathematica, I can testify that Matlab has seen tremendous improvements in computational performance since 1997. Some vector operations are now as fast as their hand-optimized C equivalents.

This shows the differences in language between Mathematica and Matlab for some of the basics:
    http://amath.colorado.edu/courses/2460/2004fall/week01/maticavlab.html

7. prophet

prophet

Since this is a free event could you bring a DAT/MP3 recorder and send us an MP3?

8. nitro

nitro

You mean a sound recording of the talk - no video?

nitro

9. prophet

prophet

Sound recording would be the least intrusive... best chance of success. Of course it would be great if you could capture video or still shots too.

10. nitro

nitro

I'll see what I can do.

nitro

#10     Sep 29, 2004