Mathematical Finance Degrees

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Random.Capital, Oct 23, 2011.

1. emg

emg

Higher Education is the key to become a successful professional trader. Don't u think so?

#11     Oct 24, 2011
  2. Daal

Daal

Frankly I can learn most of the stuff that is taught in colleges by reading books, watching videos, etc. At less than 1/10 of the cost and less time wasting. But people who look at resumes might not agree with that, it depends on what OP is looking for

#12     Oct 24, 2011
  3. emg

emg

that is what u think. But, imagine u went to school, your brain will be 4 times wonderful than u are right now. Don't forget:

More than 90% of small traders lose. They just lose!

#13     Oct 24, 2011
  4. :)

Never gets old. :p

#14     Oct 24, 2011
  5. That's assuming you know what you need to learn. The point of college/grad program is not that they have some magic power of feeding information into your brain from books that you would not have otherwise. The point is you will be exposed to views/subjects/research that you might never have come across.

#15     Oct 24, 2011
  6. Daal

Daal

I don't think you have to pay thousands of dollars to see the table of contents of the textbooks and materials of the course

#16     Oct 24, 2011
  7. This is a pipe-dream, at least you're aware of the resume aspect of HR.

Sure you can read x amount of textbooks on the subject but you probably won't grasp the material as well as you would with a professor. Being isolated or trading thoughts via an online forum is no where as productive as hand on tutoring, especially with an individual that has been in the industry. MIT, NYU, Columbia etc. are great for a reason... because a lot of the faculty knows the business and it's not just about learning A and B. Furthermore, what about networking? Grad school is essentially a networking event (in addition to sharpening various skills).

Even if you're a genius and think you can learn the material better by yourself what do you think HR will think about you? Motivated individual but probably not as sharp as that Ivy kid who was taught by this x influential quant?

#17     Nov 10, 2011
  8. It is also worth keeping in mind that the brainiacs who built the pricing models for tranched mortgage packages and sovereigns-never-default CDS and etc etc generally came out of those programs.

Anyway, thanks to all for the feedback. It's not for me, it's for a young relative who seems to think this is what she really really wants to do...

#18     Nov 11, 2011
  9. Daal

Daal

The evidence of studies show that having a degree is more important than which university you have the degree. I would suggest that the 'greatness' of those places will have very little relevance on your long-term earnings in MOST cases

#19     Nov 11, 2011
  10. In my experience, the place you get your degree can help, a lot, with your first job.

After that, things get relatively equalized, and it's pretty much up to "you"...

#20     Nov 11, 2011