Math Problem

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by johnnyrock, Jun 5, 2018.

1. johnnyrock

johnnyrock

An Old Colorado Grower has four pots.

The OCG has twelve, two year old, seeds sealed in an air tight container in his freezer.

After two weeks, the OCG removes the seeds.

In each pot he plants three seeds to maximize his chances of germination.

Each seed can produce a male or female plant with 50/50 odds of either sex.

The desired outcome is a healthy, voluptuous female.

Knowing he is too old to go to jail the Old Colorado Grower must stay within the legal limit of six plants in the vegetative stage while also maximizing his outdoor grow with only one plant per pot, the OCG must cull any additional plant that sprouts from his two year old seed.

The OCG only has four 20 gallon pots.

What are the odds of producing dank sensimilia in 1 pot, 2 pots, 3 pots or - if the Gods, Jesus, be on his side - 4 huge lady Sativa plants?

If each plant produces an average of one pound of premium bud, how happy will he be?

Just kidding!

Happiness cannot be objectively measured.

Bonus points will be given if you show your work!

2. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

@johnnyrock - Location: Ellicott, CO :sneaky: :D
    Is this a hypothetical question or are you planning a business venture?

upload_2018-6-6_11-14-50.jpeg

johnnyrock likes this.
  3. johnnyrock

johnnyrock

4. johnnyrock

johnnyrock

On a serious note I am trying to figure the probability of getting female plants.

3 x 1/2 x 4 = 6

However, the problem I am running into is determing out of those six plants that are likely to be female, after I cull the extras plants that actually germinate - beyond the four that can go full term - how will that affect the odds of producing females?

According to my logic, two should be male and two female, like a coin flip (over time of course).

5. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

I'm just joking around man.

I don't know the germination rate of the seeds you're planting, but I doubt you'll have any problem with getting 6 plants out of 12 seeds. Every plant should have 50/50 odds of producing a female. So basic logic says your best odds are ending up with 3 male & 3 female. With any luck you could get the 4 female plants you want.

I'm too lazy to calculate the odds of each possible outcome, but that should give you a decent idea of what to expect.

johnnyrock likes this.
  6. johnnyrock

johnnyrock

I actually thought you were someone else.

:D

LS1Z28 likes this.
  7. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

Gotcha. The rest of your post makes sense now.

Good luck in your future gardening endeavors. ;)

johnnyrock likes this.
  8. userque

userque

Based only upon the information you provide, and my assumptions about facts you don't provide: I agree with you.

The sex determination seems to be an independent event...unaffected by other plants/seeds.

johnnyrock likes this.
  9. johnnyrock

johnnyrock

Thanks!

10. wartrace

wartrace

[​IMG]

Chances are 100% ;)

#10     Jun 8, 2018
    johnnyrock likes this.