Math PhD strategist looking for capital

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by randommatrix, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. not neccessarily. A track record which consistently beats the long bond or the S&P may require quite a bit of money to make a living from.

#11     Dec 6, 2011
  2. No one here is going to give you money without a track record. Lot's of systems with with sim money can make money in the market using back tests, but fail when going live.

If you guys are really that good, just get a job working for Goldman and save up some money on side until you have enough to trade.

It's harder to make money the way you are talking about since once you go live you are going to compete against systems like Goldman who can afford to pay for co-located servers and front running to see your orders, which you can not test with play money.

Also, if you want to advertise here, pay the fee for advertising. I think what you did so far is a violation of policy. Trying to get investments and not being able to pay for marketing makes you look shady.

For now I will leave this thread alone, but if you continue to spam here, I plan to close it.

#12     Dec 6, 2011
  3. It's funny how there are always more PhDs looking for capital than there is capital looking for PhDs.

#13     Dec 6, 2011
  4. Of course, that is the commonsense knowledge. One should not let anyone manage his account without a successful record.

#14     Dec 7, 2011
  5. I was just about to sign up, but after reading the mods explanation I'll be putting my bag o' money back in the vault tomorrow.

#15     Dec 7, 2011
  6. "It's funny how there are always more PhDs looking for capital than there is capital looking for PhDs."

Just like doctors hope to get more patients, qualified math PhDs have the ability to manage the risk of financial markets.
    In fact, capital is always looking for good managers. Moeny never sleeps. The thing is that people need a lot of time building up the trust to each other.

#16     Dec 7, 2011
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Have you thought about getting a job?

#17     Dec 7, 2011
  8. We can trade our own capital and get wealth from the market. Getting money from outside can expediate the process.

#18     Dec 7, 2011
  9. "Have you thought about getting a job?"

We already have some investors. So I will keep working on my own business.

#19     Dec 7, 2011
  10. hoppla

hoppla

Out of curiosity, what sort of data are you using and where is the data from? What's the time period you're considering (like very recent)? Do you have production results and how well do these track your sims? Since you mention HFT, I assume you'd be quoting/ cancelling at the best most of the time. There are a lot of HFT strategies that look great in sim mode, but fail in production due to the nature the data is being delivered (amongst other issues). It's not necessarily obvious when simming the data, but you'll find out very soon when you compare against live trading.

#20     Dec 7, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.