Masters in Financial Engineering

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by JesseLivermore2, Apr 1, 2010.

1. I can only speak about the UK schools... Most of them OK, but I would put Oxford and Imperial at the top of the list, rather than Cass and Warwick.

#21     Dec 6, 2010
  2. dtan1e

dtan1e

actually there's nothing fancy about being a quant, i was one for several years, thing is as a quant the firm will expect u to produce coding that is profitable, if u can't do that u won't last whereas if u can, question is do u really want to do that? u may get paid quite well for a no. of years after u shoved aside quite unceremoniously to make way for younger talents, in short, its not as glamorous as it appears, on the contrary, quite a sh*t job really, as u expected to put in longer hrs than most, get treated like a water boy, and someone else like the partners gets the real reward while u get whatever scraps that falls off, so always select the option that gives u the most satisfaction for yourself not bc someone says its the best school, best firm or best job

#22     Dec 6, 2010
  3. sjfan

sjfan

For US, I'd drop the CUNY school and add Princeton in its place. I didn't think the Princeton's program was impressive, but they seem keen on building it out.

#23     Dec 6, 2010
  4. I've been doing a lot of reading on my own because I don't really trust the value proposition of the MFE programs. I worry that there is just enough rumor, uncertainty, and fantasy among math & physics people that MFE programs can rake it in while providing only a simulacrum of benefit to the student.

I wrote my DIY MFE course so far down here: http://tumblr.com/xp11bb2oo7. Also some one-liner reactions to what I've read.

I'm a skeptic of going to school for financial reasons. I got an excellent undergraduate education (math & economics & stats & liberal arts) and it never did jack sh$t for me in terms of getting a job.

(I did learn a great deal in school. And it was applicable to my career. But degree did not equal job and now that I've had my college smarty good time, I don't think a postgrad repeat is necessary.)

There are lots of articles over the past year about how school does not pay, graduates are unemployed, etc. I remember in the 90's computer science grads made fat cash. But that is the only real case where I have seen college degrees make money.

I am very wary that the boom in professional masters degrees is driven by fear, parents, government loans, and laziness. Why does the phrase "just go back to school" have a 'just' prepended to it?

I could be wrong and I'd like to hear more from asiaprop, who seems to be the

#24     Jan 23, 2011
  5. You seem to have lost your train of thought here. Maybe you should come down off the three-day coke bender and get some sleep.

So you have got yourself banned at Nuclear Phynance and now you have come over here?

Good idea, you will probably last much longer on EliteTrader. It takes truly toxic posting to be thrown off this forum. And even if you are banned, if you've posted enough odious political opinions in the P&R forum, you will have defenders in the Feedback thread demanding you be reinstated.

#25     Jan 24, 2011
  6. nLepwa

nLepwa

I know for a fact that here in Switzerland there is a desperate need for quants.

People coming out of ETH or EPFL with a degree in computer science, maths, physics or fin engineering have companies fight to hire them.

The salaries are at all-time highs.

First salaries for these people are usually 95k-100k CHF with an additional 15%-20% bonus.

Ninna

#26     Jan 24, 2011
  7. #27     Jan 24, 2011