Masters in Financial Engineering

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by JesseLivermore2, Apr 1, 2010.

1. How many quant funds are up big YTD? Not many.... there's a bit of warning that the whole field is saturated.

#11     Dec 4, 2010
  2. i would suggest that the correlation between quant funds' performance and demand for quants is a very weak one if at all existent. A lot of other "parties" in the game show strong demand for quants. Why dont you check on efinancialcareers before you cast your vote...

#12     Dec 4, 2010
  3. Given the thousands of HF closures since the '07 peak, and the inability of new HF formation to eclipse the previous high, I'm not sure if 'quant demand at an all-time high' is true.

Efinancialcareers doesn't really qualify as a comparison metric since one would need to know what the previous job listings were in prior years. Anecdotal evidence over at nuclear phynance would suggest activity is lukewarm to brisk, hard to say 'all-time high'.

#13     Dec 4, 2010
  4. rosy2

rosy2

no education will teach you how to make money. if there was one everyone would go get it. but if you have the opportunity to get a MFE or more education of any kind it doesn't hurt; and looks good on a resume.

#14     Dec 4, 2010
  5. lwlee

lwlee

I basically had the same questions.

1. How tough to get into a decent MFE program.
    2. I wanted to stay local to NYC and hopefully be inexpensive.

Take a look at http://www.quantnet.com. Lots of good stuff on the various schools.

The answer to 1. was that any decent program it's extremely tough. Baruch has a very good program. Last year, their admission rate was 7%, something like 460 applicants and only like 35 were taken. GMAT/GRE was very high and GPAs were also in the 3.5 range. The good thing about Baruch was that it's in NYC and it was very cheap. But the candidates they were accepting had very high credentials. PhD students or people with tons of real world experience.

I'm thinking either Stevens or NYU-Poly since they are one notch below. My GPA in college wasn't that good but I have been in the Prime Brokerage and banking for more than 15 years.

#15     Dec 4, 2010
  6. Will the MFE syllabus include a course in common sense...if not ,focus in other areas other than trading...

NiN

#17     Dec 4, 2010
  7. fair enough, it does not answer the question how it stacks up vs prior years but fact remains demand outstrips supply at the moment

#18     Dec 5, 2010
  8. mbbcat

mbbcat

OK,

Sure there is no easy answers, however here is the rub, markets are getting more & more computer traded, meanwhile access to facilities & meaningful computational power is increasing, so how does a manual trader learn the skills to evolve, compete & survive?

btw its an old problem that most prof's can't / don't trade so that brings the question of exactly what are the relevant skills

thought for food :) :confused:

#19     Dec 6, 2010
  9. jd7419

jd7419

Stonybrook should be on the list. Jim Simmons has a lot to do with this program and his hedge fund is located right next to the university.

#20     Dec 6, 2010