Massive Stock Pump Spam

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by marketsurfer, Jun 15, 2008.

1. last several days my private email has been subjected to a massive onslaught of stock pump spam. dozens a day, all using the same format but differing domain senders, etc. , anyone else?

example:

Breaking news

Buy as: agms.ob
    Company Name: Angstrom Microsystems
    Now: .510
    Action: Make your move

Early investors will gain the most on this new tip.

It finally released Friday, Angstrom Micro Systems reported information
    saying the General Hospital in Massachusetts MGH has placed an order for
    additional servers from AGMS.

The continued installation will bring the total to around 100,000 on this one installation.

With the shorts almost out that have pushed this stock down there is huge potential for this company.

Call your broker, get online and buy as soon as possible.

2. Bob111

Bob111

same here. couple private emails @ verizon. same message. i'm looking right now,if those affected email addresses are being used somewhere else besides IB.

3. ssmegner

ssmegner

This happens millions of times per day. There are pump and dumps schemes constantly going. Just ignore those just like you ignore the ones to enhance your body parts.
    Tracing email addresses is worthless since the headers can be spoofed. The only way to trace is through the message ID's embedded in the header that you do not see. If you are using Outlook right click on the message and select message options. You will see the full message header in the bottom textbox. Our spam filters purge millions of spam emails per day.

4. interesting. has anyone observed the effect on these stocks after the spam goes out? i cant imagine someone actually buying a stock based on an email... but who knows.

5. Bob111

Bob111

i'm more interested in how they got my email.

6. ssmegner

ssmegner

There are many ways to get your email address. Many of the sites where you register your name for newsletters, information, etc are easy targets for data mining. Some list servers by default allow you to send a 'List' command to get all the names much like you can send a 'subscribe' or 'unsubscribe'. If you are registered on Yahoo or a variety of other services and you do not select to block your email address are targets. If you have posted email to a Yahoo group your email address is likely in the email. There are ways to join a group and suck out all the names. A bot can do this. Some situations are just bad admins playing with software they are not trained to support. Some might be intentional. Some sites sell your addresses even though they say they don't.

Other ways include sending mail to random email addresses. Like aaaaaaaa@domain.com, aaaaaaab@domain.com, etc

If you use Outlook, Yahoo webmail, Hotmail, etc the default settings are to not display pictures in your email. That is why the software asks you to approve showing pictures. There is a very good reason for this. I could send out millions of emails to random addresses, inside the email I embed a hyperlink to a picture. It could be any inocuous picture. But the hyperlink is a long number rather than something like car.jpg. I keep a database that says that I sent an email to aaaaaaaa@domain.com and in the email is a link to picture 12345678.jpg. When you view the email and display pictures the web mail client has to fetch the picture 12345678.jpg. As soon as it does that validates your email address. If it was not valid there never would have been a fetch for 12345678.jpg.

There are many many many ways to get your email address. Te best advice is to minimize the sites where you register for things like newsletters. If you do there are services that give you a throw away email address that you use once. Each site you register you get a new email address. You can quickly spot where you register that causes you to get on spam lists. And never view pictures in the email preview pane or open unless you are sure of the source of the email.

7. these mails are obviously coming from the same source.

what is the true end result of the spam? are the stocks really pumped to a degree that makes it worthwhile for them?

Return-path: <learn2earn@sungnsusie.com>
    Envelope-to: edit
    Delivery-date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 18:40:16 -0500
    Received: from EDIT by accord2.myhostdns.com with local-bsmtp (Exim 4.68)
    (envelope-from <learn2earn@sungnsusie.com>)
    id 1K81pR-0000Vt-Pu
    for edit; Sun, 15 Jun 2008 18:40:16 -0500
    X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.2.3 (2007-08-08) on
    accord2.myhostdns.com
    X-Spam-Level: ***
    X-Spam-Status: No, score=3.5 required=5.0 tests=RCVD_IN_PBL,RCVD_IN_XBL,
    RDNS_NONE autolearn=no version=3.2.3
    Received: from [221.156.131.157] (port=3314 helo=lmhf)
    by accord2.myhostdns.com with smtp (Exim 4.68)
    (envelope-from <learn2earn@sungnsusie.com>)
    id 1K81pR-0000Vh-4i
    for edit; Sun, 15 Jun 2008 18:40:09 -0500
    Received: (qmail 15379 invoked from network); Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:39:59 +0900
    Received: from unknown (HELO qpf) (144.38.199.103)
    by lmhf with SMTP; Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:39:59 +0900
    Message-ID: <4855A84F.8020306@sungnsusie.com>
    Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:39:59 +0900
    User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 (Windows/20070728)
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    To: edit
    Subject: OTC Picks tells it like it is
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

The news is out and this one is a bargain

Symbol OTCBB: agms
    Corporation-name: Angstrom*Microsystems
    Recent: 51 cents
    Outlook: Strong Purchase

We could not tell you until now but now it's public.

Last week ended and at 5mins after close, Angstrom Corporation declared
    that the General Hospital in Massachusetts MGH has continued deployment
    of additional SuperBlade computers for their research and clinical use.

A great addition for AGMS bringing the order to 100,000.

The short positions have pushed the price down, but they are almost out and this stock will soar next week.

Call your broker, set your buy priority Monday morning.

8. Are you telling me that the body part ads are not truthful?

9. Bob111

Bob111

Thank you for info ssmegner!
    those email addresses are only used with IB accounts. i just check it. there is no way i ever click on any pictures in email ,from computer i trade, regardless to where it's from. even if i know the source. i can only come up with random email name generator,which just create random
    emails, then send the message and wait for respond. don't know exact details about such method,but will report all this to ISP and will change those exposed emails immediately. not interested in results of such spam, even if stock going to move up on monday.

10. Got the same emails. CYHA did pretty good actually haha. (the last one they did).

I got the new ones now too. AGMS. It's annoying as hell.

I believe this form of pumping has become illegal as of a few years ago "fax blasting" carries some penalties now.

#10     Jun 15, 2008