Maryland Governor Taxes Rain

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Max E., Apr 10, 2013.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

When I left, I reassigned my finance team to Tampa as well. Wasn't entirely my choice, but I certainly helped it along. We still have an office there, but we'll be closing it at the lease expiration date in Feb of next year. That will take 9 more jobs with it to here and Charlotte.

#11     Apr 11, 2013
  2. jem

jem

My parents lived by the tpc course in avenel.
    My Dad was transferred to falls church for about three years before he retired. That part of Maryland was very pretty in the early 90s. I have not really been back since.

#12     Apr 11, 2013
  3. Ricter

Ricter

Lol, Florida is a bailout state. Meanwhile, Maryland...

DLLR News

Maryland Adds 10,500 Jobs in February

"Maryland has now recovered over 94 percent of the jobs lost during the recession

"BALTIMORE, MD (March 29, 2013) - The U.S. Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) released state jobs and unemployment data earlier today. According to the preliminary survey data, Maryland created 10,500 total jobs in February, marking the 33rd consecutive month that monthly job totals have exceeded year-ago numbers. The private sector created 6,000 jobs, nearly six out of every 10 new jobs. Over-the-year, Maryland added 38,200 total jobs, with Maryland businesses contributing nearly 95 percent of those jobs. Maryland has now recovered more than 94 percent of the jobs lost in the recession.

"With BLS revision, Maryland's January numbers jumped by 800 to show our December-to-January gain was 7,500 jobs.

"According to the BLS, Maryland's unemployment rate dropped to 6.6 percent in February. Maryland's January unemployment rate remained unchanged with revision at 6.7 percent.

"As Maryland's jobs numbers rise, it's clear our investments in workforce training are continuing to pay off," said Maryland Labor Secretary Leonard Howie. "We know that our economic prosperity is directly tied to the education and skill level of the State's workforce. Through the Employment Advancement Right Now or EARN initiative, we're forging new collaborations between business, education, the non-profit community and state and local government to bridge the skills-gap and improve student achievement and career readiness in Maryland."

"In the private sector, seven major business categories reported higher job totals in February. The Professional/Business Services sector turned in the strongest performance, adding 1,900 jobs. Industry activity was buoyed by continued hiring in businesses engaged in computer systems design and firms providing accounting services. The Financial Activities sector added 1,000 jobs, with gains reported in lending institutions and among insurance carriers.

"The Natural Resources/Mining/Construction sector, an industry which generally either loses jobs or remains flat during February, gained 700 jobs. Since November, the industry has added 4,900 jobs, countering historical trends which show an average loss of 900 jobs over this three month span. The Education/Health Care/Social Assistance sector added 900 jobs."

http://www.dllr.state.md.us/whatsnews/mlr.shtml

And Maryland's GDP per capita: 13th nationwide. (Florida? 40th.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_GDP

#13     Apr 11, 2013
  4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Comparing Florida, a heavy agricultural state to a state that exists quite heavily on Washington DC expenditures (yes, many of those jobs - even the private sector ones - are related to government in some way) is a bit of an unfair comparison. No where in any of my text did I say Maryland's economical stats were worse than Florida's. So while your data is not surprising, it's also not relevant to the conversation at all, but then again that has been your modus operandi for the last few weeks. You get asked what time it is, and you tell us how to build a watch as your answer.

Also, I'm curious - what bailout was given to Florida, again? Or is this your age ol' silly transfer payment argument?

What I did say is that I am pleased to have left Maryland, and am no longer paying state income tax at all, and have a much lower property tax with nicer climate and actually got an increase in salary. I also commented that we're moving some of our positions out of Maryland and into Florida because of the much more attractive tax situation.

So while it's nice that the BLS reports strong job growth in Maryland (the same BLS -incidentally - that reported a much lower unemployment rate despite shockingly low job adds nationwide this month) what matters is the amount of people coming into the state and leaving the state, and their adjusted gross income bringing to the state, or taking from the state. This is what will determine the state's fiscal health in the long term.

Here is a nifty little table you can manipulate (no pun intended since we're talking about the BLS) to give you some perspective. In the last ten years, Maryland has seen a $5mm drop in AGI vs. a $67mm gain during the same period in Florida. Feel free to change the time period to one that suits your side of the argument. That is, if you can find one.

http://interactive.taxfoundation.org/migration/

Enjoy.

#14     Apr 11, 2013
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Rectum supporting a rain tax. Why am I not surprised?

#15     Apr 11, 2013
  6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I'm not sure he's supporting the rain tax, even though it wouldn't surprise me. But he's definitely attempting some sort of nyah-nyah type post that is intended to make me think Maryland is doing much better than Florida, when this wasn't even the topic of the conversation, and the two states aren't even remotely comparable economically (through opportunities and resources).

Even if there was a net migration into Maryland every year in existence, and a net migration out of Florida, I could care less. The point was that my tax dollars paid in Maryland now go, almost exclusively, into my pocket. It was a change that was hugely beneficial to me, and I am glad I made it. What's more, the employees that we informed were going to need to transfer to Tampa were hugely exited about the opportunity, save one. She will be paid severance and can live her life in Baltimore. I hope she is happy and taxed - for rain or a million other silly things.

If boneheaded liberals like Ricter enjoy the idea of living in places where they are taxed much higher amounts, then they are welcome to do so.

#16     Apr 11, 2013
  7. Ricter

Ricter

The point is, AAA is talking out of his ass again.

#17     Apr 11, 2013
  8. Avenel looks a lot better now. All the trees are fully grown. They totally redid the golf course a couple of years ago. Haven't played it but people say it is a lot better. The old layout was very unpopular with the Tour pros.

#18     Apr 11, 2013
  9. jem

jem

I remember greg norman giving the course some bad press.

Avenel was pretty then it must be outstanding now.

I really enjoyed going for rides with my dad along the potomac.
    Very pretty, good rides.

#19     Apr 11, 2013
  10. Lucrum

Lucrum

According to ET's official drunken lying buffoon?

tell us the story of you coming ashore while in the port of Orlando again, that was a good one.

#20     Apr 11, 2013