Marty Schwartz

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by martys, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Let's get started. Here are my highlights for chapter 1:

pg 8

"My plan had been to sell it for a quick profit and to roll the proceeds into a bigger and better trade."

Quick Profit!!

pg 9

"I'd done all my charts and calculated my raios, and Mesa still looked good, really good."

What ratios? relative strength?

pg 11
    "shoot dying quails"

"My first rule was never to risk more than I could afford to lose"

pg 12
    "My second rule was to try to book a profit every day."

"It was the third rule, "shoot dying quails, " ...

"Even the best traders, even the Zoellners, had their share of losers. The way they hedged their bets was to maintain a diversified portfolio, only I didn't have enough money to build a diversified portfolio."

pg 13
    "F.uck it. It was time to hear the cash register ring"

Please put in your thoughts and your highlights on the chapter.

Conclusion: Marty's 3 rules:

"My first rule was never to risk more than I could afford to lose"
    "My second rule was to try to book a profit every day."
    "Third rule, "shoot dying quails, " ...

#11     Apr 21, 2004
  2. Did something really happened to Marty and his wife? Or is it just rumors. This is upsetting. Prayer for them both. They are genuine honest people which makes them the greatest traders.

#12     Apr 21, 2004
  3. Ebo

Ebo

Are you writing a book report for High School?
    Marty died 5 years ago.

#13     Apr 21, 2004
  4. How did he die?

#14     Apr 21, 2004
  5. Yes, it's high school book report if that is what it takes to hammer some rules into my head instead of waiting for the $20000 loss to do the job. I still hope these are rumors. What happened?

#15     Apr 21, 2004
  6. Bro why do you keep saying the guy is dead? Stop being a fuckin moron -- its not funny...

#16     Apr 21, 2004
  7. #17     Apr 21, 2004
  8. Ebo

Ebo

"Stop being a fuckin moron -- its not funny..."

:D

#18     Apr 21, 2004
  9. thanks for starting this thread...

I had Marty's book sitting on my shelf for the past 3 years and never read it. But after perusing your thread, I just read the book over past 36 hours... couldn't put it down. Great stuff! Would love to meet this guy.

IcE
    :cool:

#19     Apr 24, 2004
  10. You welcome. Blackstone audiobooks also has an unabridged audio version of the book:

http://www.blackstoneaudio.com/audiobook.cfm?ID=2312

During the New Year, Blackstone audiobooks had an overstock sale but not anymore, you might be able to get it cheaper elsewhere but I think it is very entertaining especially if you are driving.

I am hoping someone who knows Marty could give us more insights into his trading. Anyway, I think Marty is genuine and really tries to help when he writes his book. He is one of the reasons I look into short term trading. It might only apply to me, I become somewhat "more" consistent after I make the decision to give up the home runs (greed) and only try to hit singles. My energy during the day is now focus more on controlling risk and reducing stress. Yes, I miss the big trades but also a lot of losses (holding onto the trade too long). Again, it is just me.

#20     Apr 24, 2004