Martha Stewart Indictment

Discussion in 'Trading' started by BOSS_HOG, Jun 3, 2003.

1. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

I saw the t.v. movie the other night and was surprised at how negative it was. I never realized she had been a broker before or had been involved in a previous stock scam. I know they cover insider trading when you get licensed, so as far as I'm concerned she should have known better.

It will be interesting to see how she decorates the "yard".

#11     Jun 3, 2003
  2. she is scum... !!

and IF you don't think so then you gotta have your head examined to see if you got any sense of perspective left, on life!

Ice:cool:

#12     Jun 3, 2003
  3. Pabst

Pabst

Didn't help Leona! And she really got the shaft. Convicted of taking 4 million in business writeoffs that were personal expenses (renovated her estate), in a year that she reported 150,000,000 in income!

#13     Jun 3, 2003
  4. I agree that her insider trading episode was very small potatoes and would not have warranted time. However, the prosecutors take a very dim view of investigative targets diddling them with made up stories. I am guessing they are insisting on jail time, which is why no deal has been made so far.

#14     Jun 3, 2003
  5. lol, like the trust restored by the ridiculous "independent research" settlement scam they pulled? hold a press conference, grasso answers some softball questions from maria, commercial break, then it's old news and all's forgiven - on to the next hype!

at best, if the broader media buys it she'll be forced to humiliate herself in a lawyer-regulated mea culpa with barbara walters or something....

#15     Jun 3, 2003
  6. Personally, I don't think she's done anything wrong. I think it's
    sad she's going to lose so much of her legacy because of this
    farce.

I agree with Milton..."There are people going to jail for insider trading and I think it has been a great mistake. You want more insider trading, not less. You want to give the people most likely to have knowledge about deficiencies of the company an incentive to make the public aware of that."...Nobel Prize winning economist Milton Friedman

If you want to read the interview, it's Here

#16     Jun 3, 2003
  7. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

While I am a big fan of Milton Friedman's, I think that is ridiculous. Of course she did something wrong. Its not only illegal to profit off of inside information but immoral as well. What about the person that unknowingly took the loss for her? How is that not wrong? Its no different than stealing.

I certainly agree with Milton that the public should be made aware of deficiencies of a company, but not with the profit of insiders at the expense of unsuspecting investors.

Like some others have mentioned though, I don't think she will end up doing any jail time.

#17     Jun 3, 2003
  8. hmap1

hmap1

All of you sadomasochrists just want to see Martha in cuffs. :)

#18     Jun 3, 2003
  9. JAIL, BABY!!

they'd send me to jail!!

ROCK

#19     Jun 3, 2003
    #20     Jun 3, 2003