Married Calls

Discussion in 'Options' started by exQQQQseme, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Thanks again Ursa. Regarding "expected dividends", I have a pretty firm rule that I shy away from shorting dividend paying stocks. Reason is that if I am short the stock on the morning it goes ex-dividend I have to pay the dividend. That's not a lot of fun.

In this regard, QQQQ is a killer. Without any advance announcement, it goes Ex-Div the Thursday prior to Expiration Friday on the quarterly months (Mar, Jun, Sep, and Dec). What's worse is DIA, which also goes Ex-Div without advance notice, but monthly instead of quarterly. Hence, one has to be completely nuts to short DIA, and only a little bit crazy to short QQQQ.

Bob

#31     Jan 25, 2007
  2. I am sorry. I started one but nobody seems to care as most of the synthetics experts are having fun here.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85504

4Q has consumed all the time of the option experts that they no longer have time to look at other threads. :D

I am desperate to see the real world application of synthetics. If they are really equivalent, I should get a mathematical explanation for this case, right?

#32     Jan 25, 2007
  3. MTE

MTE

See my answer in your thread!:)

#33     Jan 25, 2007
  4. MTE,

Thanks a lot. I realized that I would get the answer if I posted it here.

In general, Is it true that ITM bid ask spread > ATM > CTM > OTM?

#34     Jan 25, 2007
  5. MTE

MTE

Yup! Generally, it's really just a function of the price - ITM are high priced hence the spread is high.

#35     Jan 25, 2007