marriage problems as a trader

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by bat1, Feb 18, 2008.

1. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

there is absolutely no way you can trade successfully knowing the cloud of potential divorce is hanging over your head. why would your wife put so much pressure on you in the first place? is this a new idea of yours or did you always trade? if it is new,i can understand her apprehension.

#21     Feb 19, 2008

2. My thoughts exactly. Just didn't want to hurt the guys feelings.

If he knew how to trade, his wife wouldn't have any issues with him trading.

It also depends on if the woman has unsustainably expensive shopping habits and is worried about her spending money. However the reality ( and I'm making a wild guess) is that he probably isn't making money trading and doesn't have a clue what he'll do after the wifes savings run out.

#22     Feb 19, 2008
  3. the vast majority of new traders will go belly up.

But it is much easier to whine about the woman not supporting him, even though he is likely to be just one more bug on the windshield.

Feeling you are the next Jesse Livermore (in his good years!!) does not mean you won't lose your shirt.

Trading should be done only if you have attain very good assets to trade with

Scared money or spending your family's egg money is insane.

#23     Feb 20, 2008
  4. bat1

bat1

what a board! so I guess I'm a loser since
    my wife does not like me trading..the issue
    I think is I get to sit on my ass and make money!
    that is what's hard for her to understand her
    family worked there butts off to get rich...so it's hard for her to see how you could do it sitting home........
    we all want to make a living in doing what we love
    and to me this is it :)

#24     Feb 20, 2008
  5. ssbc19

ssbc19

It's nice to see other traders with similar problems.

My girlfriend hates when I trade and tells me to make a long-term portfolio and check on it quarterly :)

#25     Feb 20, 2008
  6. TRACstar

TRACstar

Long term positions are just trades that didn't work out.

#26     Feb 20, 2008
  7. svrart

svrart

Sorry...

Opposite is true - short term trades are ones that did not work out.

regards,
    svr

#27     Feb 21, 2008
  8. pkts

pkts

Wow, this is quite the advertisement for NOT getting married :D

#28     Feb 21, 2008
  9. I think the main issue here is that if you are really a trader, it is part of your identity, part of what makes you interesting, part of what drives your pursuits, effectively a type of entrepreneurship, more than just a way of making money that you can turn off after 5 PM like some 9-5 jobs. It also has issues such as capitalization required, non-predictable income, tax issues, insurance issues, etc. which many women don't understand well, or don't like the implications of.

So, when you first hook up, or are interested in someone, you need to be honest about the fact that you are a trader, and not hide it and assume the woman will understand later once you are more deeply involved. I think the problem is that some traders are not confident enough in their skills, or money-making ability, or communication of exactly what a trader is, that they hide it to avoid indicating to the woman that they might be some type of pathological gambler (part-time traders) or lowlife without a "real job" (full-time traders).

Then, later on the woman thinks that the guy is falling for some "get-rich-quick scheme" because he never communicated effectively what trading is, or that he is involved in it as a business. The wanna-bes, and infomercials that the general public sees in magazines and commercials just serves to reinforce the fears that women already have. Then you have the chorus of financial advisers suggesting that you need "professional assistance" to properly manage your portfolio, etc.

Personally, I always mention that I am a trader whenever I get involved with a woman beyond a casual level - it is kind of a filter that keeps me from wasting time on women that are going to stifle my interests later. Of course, you also have to communicate the reality that this does not mean you make money effortlessly from the market whenever it is open, or you will attract gold-diggers, or women with full-time mall shopping hobbies. But to hide it just causes more problems later...

I have also found that it is important to not use certain terms such as "day trader" to avoid fighting a ton of misconceptions of what trading is really about.

#29     Feb 21, 2008
  10. Well put fframe. The same can be said for communicating what you do to family as well.

#30     Feb 21, 2008