Marriage, just don't

Discussion in 'Economics' started by turkeyneck, Feb 16, 2011.

1. ROFL, what a laugh. My wife actually makes more than I do, and she provides the benefit package also. You know, the health insurance, plus she has 2 retirement programs, on top of SS. I probably could make more, but I have accepted part time trading to take care of kids and my Dad. Marriage works well for me financially.
    I throw in a couple hours a day in the futures markets and do well enough to pay for my kids college educations, and live off what the wife makes. When I get back to full time I anticipate cranking up the savings rate for retirement.
    Nothing pisses me off more than stupid generalizations. Hell, I have been debating all winter whether go and work on some golf lessons, and maybe work local tournaments to make some more money.
    I guess it all depends on the person you marry or the person you are.

#11     Feb 16, 2011
  2. Teddy Forstman, 70 years old, never married, now sharing spit w/Padma Lakshmi ...

[​IMG]

#12     Feb 16, 2011
  3. One size doesn't fit all. Some people are all about the family thing and marriage works for them. Others (like myself currently) are not.

#13     Feb 16, 2011
  4. Crispy

Crispy

Generalizations in love or speculation is a losing bet every time.

#14     Feb 16, 2011
  5. cstfx

cstfx

This is Teddy Forstman I remember, not the old fart above (classic - him sticking his head over the bathroom stall just to make a deal):

[​IMG]

#15     Feb 16, 2011
  6. LeeD

LeeD

There are few countries that clearly differentiate how laws are applied to people based on their religious beliefs. In most Europen countries militants trying to enforce islamic law are considered common criminals.

This idea was floated (strangely enough) in the UK by the Archbishop of Canterbery, the most senior clergiman in Anglican Church (the official head of the church is the Queen). He suggested courts incorporating sharia could be set up for muslim members of the society. Anglican clergy are converting to Roman Catolicism in droves, even 3 bishops converted in one day to kick-start the process.

However, if you move to clearly muslim country like Saudi Arabia, you should be able to take advantage of most provisions of the local laws in respect to marriage without changing religion.

Obviously, there are disadvantges too... read, for example, http://conservativehome.blogs.com/platform/2010/12/sharia-learning-the-lessons-from-aceh.html

#16     Feb 16, 2011
  7. BSAM

BSAM

Today's women should be treated exactly like you would a day trade. It's a short term deal. You keep a market instrument for a short term; you keep a woman for no more than 4 to 6 hours.

Then, you move on.

#17     Feb 16, 2011
  8. LeeD

LeeD

With this attitude, what do you do if you want to have children? Do it via artificial insemenation and hire a woman to carry your child for 9 month? A very popular practice among wealthy older couples in the US apparently...

#18     Feb 16, 2011
  9. Not really difficult. It's just that most people marry the same way most people trade. They pick a loser and then clamor for advice on how to turn it into a winner.

Pick a winner in the first place and you don't have those problems. Then if you're telling yourself, "I did pick a winner and the 'trade' is still losing", the problem is you. So grow up and become the spouse you should be.

#19     Feb 16, 2011
  10. dont listen to that guy, women are to be worshiped, their feet are for kissing.

[​IMG]

#20     Feb 16, 2011