marriage and government

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gordon Gekko, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Why would you want any laws at all , except to protect the weak?

next question: Why would you want to protect the weak?

Tiki

#51     Jan 2, 2004
  2. Well you may answer your own question, is it ok for a community or nation to say: "Okay, you can be jewish but not here, here is your passport and fuck off"

?

Tiki

#52     Jan 2, 2004
  3. And here's what I'm getting at: let's say a state believes that a certain type of family structure will produce superior results and that's what they want their state to "stand for". Do they have the right to pursue their own beliefs w/o humanistic relativism being forced on them from Washington?

#53     Jan 2, 2004
  4. So if a state beleives that blonde people with blue eyes produce superior results, they can kick the rest out? (or deal with them in another way?) If that is what they stand for?

Above ofcourse an extreme example, but what difference is - eating hamburgers or not & having 10 wives or not?

Nature doesnt care either way, and your current government doesnt care about the first one, either, but why about the second one?

Really man, its lawless anyway, but up to you for decide if you want to take another man's law in a lawless world, or make your own.

Tiki

#54     Jan 2, 2004
  5. On a sidenote:

Does anyone sleep anymore?

#55     Jan 2, 2004
  6. Well, I think one out of four agrees with me. I think if you don't want polygamy, communes, prostitution in your state you should have the right. And I think that was the intent of the original Constitution...

#56     Jan 2, 2004
  7. shoeshine, answer this......why should that be illegal?

and don't tell me because the bible says so or something....

#57     Jan 2, 2004
  8. Turok

Turok

>let's say a state believes that a certain type of family
    >structure will produce superior results and that's what
    >they want their state to "stand for".

Well, you may answer your own question.

Let's say a state believes that a certain type of family structure (let's say...Utah, 1889, polygamy) will produce superior results and that is what they want their state to "stand for". Do they have the right to pursue their own beliefs w/o religious absolutism being forced on them from Washington?

Well???

JB

#58     Jan 2, 2004
  9. So are you using this argument to say that state/community standards can be set?

#59     Jan 2, 2004
  10. Yeah, and that everyone is basically free to ignore them

Tiki

#60     Jan 2, 2004