marriage and government

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gordon Gekko, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Well you are almost very right on here alphie, marriage indeed might be a direct result of natural forces constructing specific societies, but even though those FORCES are universal, the RULES are not. Remember that nature had people for example in america morph into a society where the urges exist to settle (I question this seeing how many people cheat, but lets just assume monogamy for the sake of argument), in Saudi-Arabia it is perfectly normal to, as Gekko introduced and fights for, have multiple wives. In other countries its different again etc. etc. etc.

Same NATURAL FORCES, different 'people made up rules'...

I'd say the conclusion is that ALL laws and morals are merely geographical and you happen to have to deal with them INCIDENTALLY. Isnt it absolutely hilarious that people in NYC almost called the FBI when I slapped a chick, while you can stone your wife (--> OR ANY WOMAN you claim was 'infidel' to you!!) to death on your own call in some Arab countries. Funny how we all eat mcdonalds with (well they claim to!) beef in the burgers, millions a day, while the cow is holy in india and people STOP TRAFFIC if a cow is sleeping on the road! Funny how thai people like to eat dogs and all americans go "EEEWW YOU CANNOT DO THAT IT IS A DOGGY DOGGY ITS CUTE SWEET", funny how a lot of people in western countries hug their dogs, shit man! I even know chicks that let their dogs sleep on their beds! In Suriname dogs are considered so filthy they arent even allowed to be in the house.. Remember a video of a kitten being eaten on the internet? All america was crying and boohooing, its *normal* for some cultures to do that.

All incidental morals and standards.. wanna know something even more fun? Those arent even BORN IN, those are all learnt from society. I remember going to spain (for work!!) and irritating myself how lazy people seemed to be sometimes. One month later a friend visited me and was just as irritated how lazy _I_ had become (ofcourse, I felt like he was messed up and should relax! haha)

purely geographical & random, those are the morals and ethics we all want to fight and die for, hooray for consciousness!

Tiki

#41     Jan 2, 2004
  2. I'm gonna submit your name for Humanist of the Year 2003.

#42     Jan 2, 2004
  3. Turok

Turok

>Once you kill god, you kill purpose. There is no
    >purpose without god

I'll accept that this is true for you. It is not true for me in any way. I can have no better purpose than to be a true and kind friend to my fellow man.

>In the eyes of an atheist, I don't quite
    >understand why they place any significance
    >in life.

Your above position does much to prevent you from that understanding.

JB

#43     Jan 2, 2004
  4. Then here's the next question: is it okay for a community or nation to say, "Okay, Saudis have multiple wives. But we don't want that. If you want multiple wives, go over there. Here's your passport."? What's wrong with a nation/culture/community setting its own standards?

#44     Jan 2, 2004
  5. Here's another question for all the athiests: Nevada is the only state with prostitution. Should Arizona or Utah have the right to say, "We don't want that here. If you want prostition, go to NV!" If you were Senate and House, would you pass a federal law that mandated the allowance of prostition in all states?

#45     Jan 2, 2004
  6. why don't you just mind your own business and worry about your own relationships?

if a man wants 3 wives, he's harming nobody, the women are willing, etc...why would you have a fit over it?

oh wait, i know why.....because you've been brainwashed and your bs morals, made up by some guy thousands of years ago, say that's wrong.

#46     Jan 2, 2004
    #47     Jan 2, 2004
  8. You didn't answer my question: is it okay for a state to decide on its own morality? I take it your answer is "no"? You would force that state to allow "anything goes between consenting adults"?

#48     Jan 2, 2004
  9. i can pay a woman to stroke my arm, but if i pay her to stroke my penis, it's illegal.

WHAT A JOKE.

can we get rid of these inane laws already...........

#49     Jan 2, 2004
  10. Turok

Turok

>What's wrong with a nation/culture/community
    >setting its own standards?

Nothing in my book.

Generically I believe communities should and should be able to set certain standards. I also believe that a constitution is a good idea and that those standards should be consistant with such a document.

JB

#50     Jan 2, 2004