Marking timing by sentiment - opinions?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by AyeYo, Jan 2, 2010.

1. AyeYo

AyeYo

Jack, thanks for the reply. Your posts are generally over my head and take about 10-15 reads through before I understand them, so I'll get back to you in a day or two. lol

#11     Jan 4, 2010
  2. I think the important point is you have two knowledgeable guys who agree and confirm your idea. Now the hard part is to translate the idea into something workable that fits your style and personality and build on this to make it work for you.

Also I'd like to add re "who tend to be consistently right or wrong" you may not agree with their reasoning but that has to be beside the point.

#12     Jan 4, 2010
  3. No one here has mentioned Woody Dorsey.

He has written the excellent book behavioral trading...in 2004.

He has a reporting service which uses proprietary sentiment measures to profit from volatility, and from directional trades, sector rotation, and unexpected events.

He has satisfied customers, and a cheap way to learn the basics of his strategy is from the book

http://www.amazon.com/Behavioral-Trading-Measuring-Confidence-Expectations/dp/1587991640

Also, you can read his more recent market insights at Minyanville

#13     Jan 4, 2010
  4. How do you define a swing? By number of minutes in a bar? Isn't that completely arbitrary? A 15 minute chart will have a different number of swings from close to close than a 5 minute chart. Or are you talking about something different?

#14     Jan 4, 2010
  5. Fade Jack and you can make a fortune :p

"As a trader for 53 years, this turning point tomorrow is the most significant I have seen in my life."
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2560747#post2560747

#15     Jan 5, 2010
  6. :D

#16     Jan 5, 2010
  7. Using sentiment alone I have not found to be useful, however in conjunction with price action it is a very good strategy. However, sentiment polls are not very very useful for judging sentiment IMO. I find that the best way to judge sentiment is to follow a market continually, read media mentions about it, and speak to other traders (both good and bad) and get their opinions about it. Do that and you should be able to judge what the current sentiment is.

#17     Jan 5, 2010
  8. Since I saw the thread on the PPT (rex nutting), I think the current sentiment is "sumbody knows sumpin".

#18     Jan 5, 2010