MarketWise trading school

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by dayraider, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Can anybody supply any information about the MarketWise Trading school?

Four day Direct Access trading course?
    Two day Technical Analysis course?
    Two day Options trading course?
    One day Realtick trading course?

2. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

<i>One day Realtick trading course? </i>

I've never taken a Marketwise course or seen one, so I am not in a position to comment on the value of them. However, I would not pay anything for a course on Realtick. The program is pretty straight forward and easy to figure out on your own. You could spend the same amount of time, sit down in front of your computer and just mess around and you would figure out 99% of the program. It would only cost you the time, not time plus money.

Brandon

3. I have taken a lot of courses and they are all worthless except for broadway trading course. You could save yourself the money and just buy there book The Electronic Day trader it the same as the course. The guys that wrote that book trade there own money everyday. They also hire traders to trade there money and teach them to trade. These guys teach you everything you need to know to start trading except for experience and discipline. The rules the write about are used buy almost every professional trader here and overseas.

4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I disagree. Although you could teach yourself the basics in a short period of time, I definitely don't think you could teach yourself 99% of RealTick on the first day you've used it. The program is feature rich, and considering that every one of those features can be customized, that's a lot of stuff to learn. In fact, I think you could spend a day learning just how to use the extensive charting capabilities and technical studies. I've been using RealTick for years, and it seems I am still able to find features and functionality on a regular basis that I never knew even existed prior to that.

But aside from that point, I learned a long time ago that everybody is not good at teaching themselves new skills. Many people need the structured environment of a classroom to really get a solid understanding of beyond-basic concepts.

I recently had a chance to visit with Dave Nassar at the Grand Opening of their new three-story MarketWise training facility in Colorado.

[​IMG]

Although the event itself wasn't being held on the training floor, I had a chance to sneak over to it before anybody else so I could snap a couple of pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, the training floor is top notch, with each student getting plenty of desk space, a flat panel display, and a comfortable leather chair. Although I didn't actually go through any training while I was there, I found the learning environment to be pleasant.

After walking through the facility, it was clear to me that MarketWise is serious about providing high quality education to both beginning and advanced traders. In fact, the prices for their training programs seemed quite reasonable after I realized the scope of their investment into this facility.

The teachers seemed extremely knowledgeable, most if not all having years of experience on the various stock and/or option exchange floors.

Overall, I was impressed by the effort that David Nassar and his team have put into this new facility, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend MarketWise to those who are looking for personalized mentoring and instruction.

5. zkaitlyn

zkaitlyn

I PAID for the course (3 years ago) and it was informative for someone not knowing a thing about Realtick. However, I wouldn't start an account with them. I have many issues with their ethics. They teach a person to scalp the market and charge $25 each way plus fees for execution. I actually made money on the trades and was down in my account $5000 the first month because of commissions. Needless to say, I became wise to the follies of scalping with commissions so high and moved my account. It is a long journey to learn the style of trading that will suit you and to find a brokerage firm that you feel comfortable with the fees.

I don't feel anyone can make money scalping the market any longer, though, since decimalization. Just my thoughts.

6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

One thing that should be mentioned though is that 3 years ago the scalping strategy and commissions above $20 were common amongst direct-access firms. I picked up a copy of the MarketWise CD while I was there and they clearly say that they do not teach spread scalping anymore since decimalization hit. And I think it's safe to say that pretty much all direct-access firms have dropped their commissions since the boom of the late 90s faded.

7. oolarinm

oolarinm

most training courses are only good for the absolute basics nobody left a training course and started making $$$$ so if you want to take one of those , try and pay as little as possible for the training . YOU WILL ONLY LEARN THE BASICS GUARANTEED. cut your losses , let your profits run , follow the trend , be disciplined, don't average down , don't chase stocks , and they will only show you the charts where the strategy worked out , ( have you heard of subliminal advertising ? ) causing your subconcious mind to think the pattern or strategy will work all the time . You will have to figure out the details yourself and that is hard work . That is why no training school ever teaches the details

8. A bit surprised by the above comments about decimalization....we have found it to be great for pairs trading and even for limiting losses when wrong in our momentum based entry/exits.

Mr. Nassar is not one of the "bad guys" in the business, and I wish him the best. I wish he would modify his focus away from software programs so that he could help people a little more in the mental game of trading. Nice facility, I will drop by on my next trip to Colorado.

9. "A bit surprised by the above comments about decimalization....we have found it to be great for pairs trading and even for limiting losses when wrong in our momentum based entry/exits."

The scalping strategies that Baron attributed to Marketwise were based on Nasdaq stocks- where in pre-decimal days it was much easier (with ECN access) to buy on the bid and sell the offer etc. -as compared to the listed stocks on which your traders primarily focus.

"Mr. Nassar is not one of the "bad guys" in the business, and I wish him the best."

So who are some of the bad guys...c'mon you can tell us. :)

"I wish he would modify his focus away from software programs so that he could help people a little more in the mental game of trading."

Are you suggesting that he should change the focus of his business...... just because you want him too??!!

"Nice facility, I will drop by on my next trip to Colorado."

I am sure they anxiously await your surprise walk in visit!!

10. I'm skeptical by personality,and[ by good reason some time ] ,home improvement business 25+ years.........................................However............Here is some helpful evidence concerning David Nassar[Market Wise]and ''daytrading''.David says ''When i am trading technically-which means i am in the trades longer--i am not daytrading on technicals,i am swing trading on technicals - that is my own personal preference''[Day trading article Tech Analysis Stocks&Commodities mag,Bonus issue,2002.]..............I enjoy daytrading,but tend to do a bit better swing trading..............

#10     Jan 25, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.