Marketsurfer buys life belt from Madoff's Yacht

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by impy barbicane, Nov 15, 2009.

1. This is truly unreal!!!

But those in the hall, plus 1,000 online bidders joining the auction through cyberspace, seemed to see value in the most mundane bric-a-brac. A lot comprising a fishing tackle box and a boogie board marked "Madoff" in black pen fetched $1,000. And three polo shirts bearing the name of Madoff's yacht, Bull, were snapped up for $1,300.

A life belt from Madoff's vessel was sold for $7,500 to Dave Goodboy, a hedge fund manager, who told the New York Times: "It's like having something off the Titanic."

And a buyer paid $2,000 for a wooden sign, obscurely marked BLM 216. The sign, it seems, once stood outside the Madoff family's beachside retreat on Long Island – at 216 Old Montauk Highway.
  2. I'ed pay 25 bucks for a wooden stake that someone had driven up his ass.

more surfer shenanigans!

The various items include dishes, pens and stationery, boogie boards emblazoned with the 71-year-old’s Bernard Madoff’s last name, and a Rolex nicknamed the “Prisoner Watch.” A pair of diamond earrings was estimated to sell for $21,400, while a diamond and emerald bracelet was expected to be sold for $23,400.

“It tells a story of excess,” said Goodboy, 44, a hedge fund employee. “Everything this guy had isn’t going to save him from being greedy. It’s a lesson to stay legitimate.” “There is a $150 wallet I want,” said Jose Gout, 39, a restaurant manager. “It’d be great to have this guy’s wallet. It’d be a funny conversation piece.”

Read more:
  4. lol lol lol :D

He should have bought some Krugerrands instead.:p
  5. but he is not a hedge fund manager. He is the sales guy
  6. I also think an internationally famous man like goodboy should be welcomed back to this forum
  7. calls the guy a "marketing executive"

Michael Graham, 17, student
    Minneapolis, MN
    Has his eye on: Decorative rescue ring painted “Bullship NY”
    Budget: $1,000
    Why: “It’s a good symbol of the recession. I plan to hang it in my room.”

Dave Goodboy, 44, marketing executive
    New York, NY
    Has his eye on: Duck decoys
    Budget: What's that ?
    Why: “Madoff represents part of what’s wrong with Wall Street, part of the history of Wall Street. I want a piece of it.”

Louis Carmo, 44, hotel owner
    New York, NY
    Has his eye on: Bull and bear cuff links
    Budget: “A few thousand”
    Why: “He pulled off the scam of a lifetime. Even though it’s fresh now, down the road it’ll be more valuable.”

Bashkim Ardoli, 27, sales manager
    New York, NY
    Has his eye on: Personalized Mets jacket
    Budget: Up to $10,000
    Why: “He conned people out of more than $50 billion, and that’ll never happen again. I just want that jacket. My company has season tickets, so I’d wear it to the games.”
  8. Does he work for Victor Niederhoffer?
    #10     Nov 15, 2009