Markets set to plunge, again- Jim Rogers

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by bond_trad3r, May 30, 2009.

1. ipatent

ipatent

I like Rogers, but what does he stand to gain by providing us all with his insight free of charge?

#11     May 30, 2009
  2. I always think of him as not really into making as much money as he can, and being on that whole track.

He seems more casual about life, and the type that will throw his thoughts out for consumption.

Maybe or maybe not. Just my impression.

#12     May 30, 2009
  3. Since when have contrarians been followed by the masses? Isn't that the whole point of being a contrarian - that your position, however logical, will not be followed by most people?

Jim Rogers is a student of history first, then a trader. He once remarked that in learning how the world works, and how people and governments react to things, he realized he could make a lot of money.

He's a guy that loves attention, and in my view he's thinking this: hey, I'm telling people and governments what is wrong with their actions. I'm giving them warnings, but I also know that they won't heed them - so when I make my ton of dough - I have no need to feel guilty.

It's a win-win scenario. Good for him.

#13     May 30, 2009
  4. he is a bit of an actor, but really sharp as an investor . . . he sounds simple, but i think everything he's saying is probably backed by some kind of high-quality research, which i'm sure he's using, not just blah-blah-blah i think this i think that . . .

i'm sure he's not doing it on gut feeling alone . . .although with his experience he could probably play only by intuition/experience and be successful

Varima

#14     May 31, 2009
  5. piezoe

piezoe

This is nothing new, of course. Good traders have always known this is how markets works.

I'm afraid Ms Fitts does not have a good grasp of how things are done and is quite incorrect. Pump and dump, the way it is usually done and by whom it is usually done, is perfectly legal. While it is illegal to falsify data and present it as factual or to publish lies for the purpose of moving prices (especially moving them down), it is not illegal to publish or state an opinion, no matter how ridiculous. And it certainly is not illegal to move the price of a stock or an entire market by buying or selling.

In the short run, markets are often biased from economic reality and inefficient. Only on average, over the very long-run, do markets tend to reflect reality. And that is why short term traders use technical analysis and price action, and not fundamentals, to make buying and selling decisions. In fact, intraday traders usually ignore fundamentals altogether.

#15     May 31, 2009
  6. <<"As with Faber, Rogers is mostly to be seen being interviewed on CNBC Asia or Europe, since their views are to put it mildly, somewhat negative on the US Dollar and the prospects for green shoots in the US economy">>

Whats wrong with that picture? The rest of the world is being told how terrible the US dollar is, while people at home are being told "consumer confidence is up" and we will be out of the recession in a few more months. We are getting set up for a huge fall folks.

#16     May 31, 2009
  7. zdreg

zdreg

you are like jim rogers except you are a clown without his money. just joking. jim rogers is not a clown but a serious student of markets who was once soro's partner.

#17     May 31, 2009