Markets on route to recovery

Discussion in 'Trading' started by monaco2, Apr 25, 2008.

1. monaco2

monaco2

Certainly, markets internal momentum structure currently looks favorable. At least, from a news-tape reading standpoint ( based on the latest shift in the market’s reaction to bad news) Could translate into higher price momentum for stocks. What do ya think?

2. i think you should study the 3 prominent waves down from the 2000-2002 time frame on a weekly chart. So far the timing of turning points (measured in weekly bars) is almost identicle. That being said, we should peak and have the next leg down either next week or the following. What is interesting about that timing to me is we will be through FOMC, Q1 GDP and April Employment report all next week.

3. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

Markets on route to recovery

And the Food crisis is just a myth
    And the Gas is at the right price
    And the Unemployment rate (Real One) is Low
    And the Banks are not losing a penny
    And the Bonds are as good as they were 10 years ago
    And US dollar is shining
    And ....

Well, where do you normally get that stuff that you are smoking?

4. monaco2

monaco2

Perhaps I am wrong, but just for the sake of argument. In terms of the 3 prominent waives aspect - can we objectively draw parallels btwn early 2000's recession with the collapse of the dot-com bubble, the September 11th attacks that despite the severity of both events contributed to a relatively mild contraction in the economy; with the current economic slowdown we are experiencing?

Additionally, what about the yield curve. In March, the yield rose from the mid 2 levels to 9.78, an improvement that happens once in ten years whenever the economy goes down too far.

Another leg down for markets, in my view based only on the recessionary aspect of the economy while the hard data relating to recession, is by no means conclusive , I'd say it is dubious. I think we are headed higher.

5. AAA30

AAA30

Gota live on the westcoast, thats where the experts are. :D

6. Always finds a dark similarity of his past somewhere in the future.
    This doom and gloom is getting really tiring. So far nothing has happened yet, nothing drastic. We shall see GDP numbers and decide if we had a start of a recession or not.

7. Technically the markets have never been this strong anytime in 2008. SPX closed above 1396 and didn't clear 1400 yet. It took out Feb highs. Looks like we have turned the corner and this makes the bears really angry!

These debauched , disgusting animals have not shorted any rallies lately without getting burned so they are planning some kind of a comeback, just be careful. Sleep with one eye open....

8. You forgot to add:

The world is coming to an end
    This is over now
    The sky is falling
    The Titanic is about sink and the band is playing
    The housing market will never come back
    We are done
    There is no tomorrow
    Its time to buy a nylon rope and platic stool from Home Depot
    And check in a $20 motel room for the last party

9. Billions are about to be pumped into the economy...

Rebate checks are in the mail this weekend! Checks in your mailbox if you filed taxes this year.

Yes which Government in the world gives its people " free" money? Its $600 to $2100 depending your family size. I can bet these spend thrifty yahoos would be lining up Flat screen TV s, IPODs, trips to Disneyland, new Nike super dunks, and expensive meals at Olive Garden and Red Lobsters...

This will kick start the second quarter with a massive surge, dashing hopes of our doom and gloom club completely into the ground for a recession to occur!

10. monaco2

monaco2

When I look at the economic data, I find it much easier to make a bullish case than a bearish one. What's more, I am bringing to the argument, real data. There's just no hard evidence to support a serious downturn. That's all am saying. Take a look at the hard data from Wal-Mart. It strongly suggests that money is still moving through the tills at a brisk pace. Stock has racked up almost 20% in gains so far this year. And when the market cap of a $200+ billion-dollar company rises 20%, like it or not - that's real money, nearly $40 billion of it, in fact. Not something that would happen if retail sales were plummeting.

Not only is the biggest retailer Wal-Mart doing well, but so are transportation stocks, the most economically-sensitive group I might add.

So, I don't really see how smoking gotta do with anything.

#10     Apr 25, 2008