Markets better hold up today or they will ban shortselling altogether.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by shadowtrader, Sep 18, 2008.

1. If that doesn't work, they will ban any kind of selling. :D

2. Klamath

Klamath

seriously, I really fear that market turbulence will cause them to reinstate the uptick rule. That would suck.

3. S2007S

S2007S

I finally feel there is plenty of fear in this market, 10500, my 10k prediction is only 500 points away and I think in this market environment you could see anything happen very quickly. I think the markets are oversold in the short term however long term I see a drop below 10k and eventually 8500-9000 area to be a solid bottom.

I wouldnt doubt if some major major steps are taking to calm this market down, I thought new rules they put in last night would prevent some kind of little rally today but nothing is happening. I think they actually may even go as far as too shut the exhanges down until they figure an idea how to prevent the system from collapsing.

4. I think they actually may even go as far as too shut the exhanges down until they figure an idea how to prevent the system from collapsing.

----------------------

I think that is a great idea. Close the markets for a couple weeks or months till this blows over.

5. trom

trom

FSA bans short selling of financial companies; FSA ban on financial co short selling from 2300 GMT Thurs - DJ

6. S2007S

S2007S

What other steps are they going to come up with to prevent the market from falling, just got a little boost on that news and back down it goes.

No one knows how to correct this credit crisis, the only thing thing that could have controlled this mess was stepping in years ago to prevent those investment vehicles from hitting the market.

7. What the hell would be wrong with just letting the market correct itself? Then we would have 7,000 DOW and a new bull market. Enough pissing around. Just get it done already.

8. the UK is retarded. what will this accomplish? shit will still go down in a more torturous way

this is proof why protectionist europe will always be inferior to the usa

9. The reason the new sec rule hasn't caused a short squeeze is because most shorts covered on FOMC day. The selling now is just longs being spooked out of the market. There are no shorts to squeeze. That's the scary thing. They have chased all the shorts off, so now what we have is a long squeeze all the way down until they capitulate.

The government is looking for a scapegoat to blame for this mess. The invisible evil short seller is an easy one to use, since he doesn't exist. What a fucking joke the system is becoming.

10. gnome

gnome

Hogwash... Market's down only 2% today at the low... we've got trading halts at 10, 20, 30%. Isn't that all we need?

#10     Sep 18, 2008