Marketable limit order

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by 3acor, Mar 19, 2019.

1. 3acor

3acor Guest

I have been using market orders all along using IB TWS software,

I cannot see the order type "Marketable limit order".

Anyone has an idea of how to do it?

Thanks

2. Metamega

Metamega

A marketable limit order is simply a limit order.

Ex market of 10.00 bid and 10.05 ask.

I want to buy but don’t want to I want to buy but don’t want to send a blank cheque so I send a limit order to buy at 10.07. This buy limit is above the best ask so it’s executed as a market order.

Now if the market jumped to 10.07/10.09 as I’m sending the order, my order is now a limit order in the queue.

I always use marketable limit orders and stop limit orders. My stop limits will have a decent range to execute on but I’ve seen way too many weird charts ( flash crashes) to use a blank stop market order.

3. 3acor

3acor Guest

Thanks for the reply. Do you know how I can set up the marketable limit order in TWS.
    Is is by entering a limit order and then setting by how much offset you want?

Thanks

4. Example: AMZN at 1770

BUY LIMIT = 1780 => you will instantly get filled, very unlikely that price moves above 1780 within the next 200ms or so it takes

SELL LIMIT = 1760 marketable limit sell order

3acor likes this.
  5. comagnum

comagnum

The IB order that is a marketable limit order is 'Market with Protect'.

murray t turtle and 3acor like this.
  6. 3acor

3acor Guest

thanks!

comagnum likes this.
  7. %%
    Good points.
    The flash crashes/bad quotes i've seen were on semi liquid stiff like DVY[av voume 977k/+]; never on SPY + stuff/super liquid ETFs . Anything could happen, so its buyer beware/seller beware. Plenty of profit is made on wide bid/ ask; small caps , for example with wide bid ask [0.5, nickel]may have more slippage.......................................................:cool::cool: