market success = life success ???

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by marketsurfer, Feb 18, 2003.

1. F. d'Anconia

F. d'Anconia Guest

I think that surf is stating pure fact. In that by nature we are compulsive and action driven. I think its rare that you see a successful trader that doesn't take care of him or herself in their personal life. ie: their weight, excersise, diet, etc. This is because the same self control and discipline that keep them healthy and sane and not controlled by any sort of addiction, also make them successful in the markets......................

Its like you want that candy bar and that 4th martini and yes its so much easier to just watch TV then really do something, but if you have control of yourself, then you can choose.

Same in trading. Most people churn, and they want to take EVERY setup, and they have a hard time with a whole day of doing nothing. Its just being able to say no and mean it. Discipline is nothing more than being able to NOT do what your body/mind naturally want to do without even thinking about it. Like I was saying above about the martinis and the candy bars or whatever. You don't have to THINK about wanting them, that comes as natural as breathing. But you sometimes have to "work" to stay away from them.....................

PS I like your handle (fluidity)

#31     Feb 26, 2003
  2. :p What is pure fact? That success in life is diametricaly opposed to success in the market?

#32     Feb 26, 2003
  3. Andre

Andre

Didn't read Surf's query as fact.

the state of mind required to constantly extract profits from the market seems to be diametrically opposed to "real" life. are you able to turn this 'state of mind" off when the market closes for day ? OR does it extract a toll on the other aspects of your life ??

I dunno Surf. The way a trader needs to be detached from emotions regarding money, doesn't mean that detachment has to roll over to interpersonal relations. It would seem to me to be about balance. And recognizing imbalance. Recognizing an imbalance is important in both trading and real life.

Put it this way, if I were better about not stressing about the small stuff in my relationship with my wife, I bet we'd have a better relationship. So I endeavor to remember that I am the retentive one, not she.

In my trading, I'm getting better at taking smaller losses, ie: not sweating the small stuff, not letter it affect me. Lately I've seen trading and real life having more parallels than I previously envisioned.

That doesn’t mean that departmentalizing certain aspects of real life and trading so they do not intertwine isn’t wise. I guess don't feel that it's Real Life versus Trading Life. I strive for balance in each and balance between both.

André

#33     Feb 26, 2003