market success = life success ???

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by marketsurfer, Feb 18, 2003.

1. F. d'Anconia

F. d'Anconia Guest

Wow! Such vitriol!!!!!!!

I don't think its contradictory at all. Regardless of what he said in the "capitalism speech" at the cocktail party ( I love that part too), I think the characters actions quite embody the spirit of "everything is relative" and "all attachment is suffering".

He loves only Dagny. All his life. Attachment. He loses her to his best friend. Yet at the end he is ok with it. Un-attachment. Lesson learned.
    He portrays an image as a worthless playboy, yet he is working harder than ever behind the scenes. The whole world sees him that way because its what they want to believe. Kinda like the overwhelming long bias in the markets. Nobody likes to see the rich guy happy. Everyone wants to see him fall from grace. Another question of perception.

"there are no absolutes"..............

ok, how about "everything is everything." Not so far off. I think the "anti-religion" that is Zen would suit our hero well. He certainly wouldn't follow some creed that required blind devotion to some central figure. I think he would be more Zen than you think. Just the simple fact that Rand is all about the destruction of collectivist thinking makes all the characters kinda Zen. Because like Buddhist practice, its all about YOU and noone else. What's Roark like, what's Rearden like? Who do they care about and what is their focus? ME, ME, ME and ME.

Anyways, I'm glad to see someone loves these books as much as me to be so vocal in defending their view of them.

best of luck to you......
    -$
    :)

#21     Feb 19, 2003
  2. I said in one of my first post that people approach the market with stereotypes. The most used stereotypes are wars but you are not obliged to use this one and chose a more pacific one as suggested here:

http://www.ruthroosevelt.com/article_metaphor.html

As for me I use a rational model and not a psychologic approach so I don't sublimate my person in the market. Otherwise I think you have to sublimate so as to keep your motivation high. So for me approaching the market is like approaching a machine when I was working in process industries so no spirit in my approach. I consider that the market is just an extract machine that pumps the money from the economy and I use it for that. What I take is what the banks don't. After that I spend all the money and reinject it in the economy so I serve it whereas Banks are capitalising more and more liquidity until nothing left except credit. Sacrifice to Antiquity Gods has somehow been replaced by offrands of more and more money to the new Market God. No God for me especially if it is the market.

#22     Feb 19, 2003

3. very well said !! thank you.

surfer:) :cool:

#23     Feb 19, 2003
  4. F... I have a couple of questions:

1. Were you talking about an "out of body" experience
    2. When you did this, did you hear a voice saying. "Go toward the light"?
    3. Do you have anymore of that stuff you were smokin when you wrote this?

:D

#24     Feb 25, 2003
  5. F. d'Anconia

F. d'Anconia Guest

1. not out of body, just out of ego.
    2. the voice says, "the trend is your friend", not go towards the light or anything like that............
    3. In Miami we call it Kryptonite or Krippie for short. But you can get really good hydro just about anywhere these days.

peace!
    Francisco Sebastian d'Anconia
    :cool:

#25     Feb 25, 2003
  6. TGregg

TGregg

LOL. You know not of what you speak. My spirit is soothed, there is money still to be taken.

Someday, you should really should read Rand to understand, seeing's how you are stealing the name of one of her most famous characters. You remind me of the part of AS where FA tells DT that she should have avoided the name "John Galt".

#26     Feb 25, 2003
  7. F. d'Anconia

F. d'Anconia Guest

I thought we put this to rest a few posts ago, Mr. Gregg.
    I really don't see what it is that has drawn your ire so much that you have to keep trying to discredit me, but its obviously something inside of you and not me. So if it helps you any, I concede. You get the last post. :) hurrah for you..........
    :confused:

#27     Feb 26, 2003
  8. What is it that you feel is diametricaly opposed my friend?

#28     Feb 26, 2003
  9. F D'Anconia: "NEVER SETTLE!" You gotta face him ;)

#29     Feb 26, 2003
  10. F. d'Anconia

F. d'Anconia Guest

thx swoop, but I have more creative uses for my time.
    :)

#30     Feb 26, 2003