Market repercussions of Putin invading Belarus?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Jack.Yarn, Aug 19, 2017.

1. I suspect SPX - 50 closing on the lows.

Large-scale Russian military exercises in Belarus feared to be set-up for Putin's next conquest
    • There is alarm that Russian President Vladimir Putin could use the Zapad joint military exercises next month with Belarus as a sort of Trojan horse or pretext for an annexation of the former Soviet republic, which borders Poland.
    • Russia claims there's fewer than 13,000 troops going to the quadrennial war games but some reports suggest the actual amount maybe as many as 100,000 people — and one defense expert tells CNBC"everything points to probably the largest military exercise in post-Soviet history."
    • An Estonian defense official back in April disclosed his country and other members of NATO obtained intelligence that Russia planned to send troops and resources to Belarus and leave some military equipment and permanent forces.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/19/fea...rills-in-belarus-are-moscows-next-crimea.html

2. Belarussian people expressed their desires and longings To be part of Russia for a long time, no news here, move along

_eug_ likes this.
  3. toc

toc

Possible Putin might leave troops in Belarus to invade Ukraine from the North also, in addition to east from Donestk. Makes sense to thin out already bashed up Ukrainian forces.

4. d08

d08

It's not like they'd always had a chance to think otherwise. Lukašenka might be a dictator but he knows that if he leans too far west, his country is the next Ukraine. He actually did seek closer ties with the west some years ago, that's over now, clearly.

Xela likes this.
  5. Cswim63

Cswim63

Not worth worrying about unless someone else jumps in. It's already a dictatorship, things could actually get better. Slightly different situation than Ukraine, where you have a fairly long and strong nationalist movement with roots in the US and Western Europe. I could be wrong, but I don't think the Poles even want them, and it used to be part of Poland.

6. d08

d08

So I guess you're buying the propaganda Russia is selling. Ukrainians have been the least nationalistic people I have ever met, many are downright ashamed about how the country is. Ukrainians are all about quality of life nowadays as the incomes are comparable to Africa, not Europe. They saw how the rest of ex-Soviet countries progressed and are feeling left behind, playing nice with Russia got them nowhere.
    Belarus is a dictatorship but Lukašenka isn't a fake unlike the dictators in say, Venezuela. Under his regime the country does quite well and is functioning. Quite amazing considering they have no natural resources to speak of, unlike Russia.
    Ukraine has never been part of Poland, perhaps you're talking about the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth which is a different animal. Never heard of much animosity towards Ukrainians from anyone except Russians.

apdxyk likes this.
  7. Cswim63

Cswim63

Ok where to start? I was speaking of Belarus when I said it used to be part of Poland. Belarus is not doing quite well, but it does function. Ordinary people are being snatched off the street and arrested for no reason. As far as the Ukraine, you seem to contradict yourself. I personally know someone active for 20 plus years who has worked at the highest level to separate the Ukraine from Russia. Whether the ordinary Ukrainian wants it or not is a different matter.

apdxyk likes this.
  8. Cswim63

Cswim63

I don't think the west really wants Belarus anyway. They're mostly content to let Putin deal with Lukashenko. Have you heard some of his pronouncements? He's a crazy man.

9. Cswim63

Cswim63

I hate to say it, but the ones who can think for themselves have mostly left. It's Orwellian. Maybe someday they could handle freedom. It's not their fault. They just have never experienced a different way of living.

10. Cswim63

Cswim63

Adding to it is the fact that some still long for the good old days of the Soviet Union.

#10     Aug 26, 2017