market reaction to space shuttle incident

Discussion in 'Trading' started by marketsurfer, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Neil

Neil

No gregg.. none of the above.. just saying that its a risky business and not an outstanding record.. if you followed the challenger reports you will know it was carelessness in safety that led to the accident.. lowest bidder etc... my point is that they deserve the best and that 1 in 88 is crap as a safety ratio

I def believe in space travel and hope it continues and of course it is always going to be risky, just minimise the risk as much as possible.. not trying to pick an argument tho so please dont take this the wrong way sorry if I sounded like that..

Neil

#21     Feb 1, 2003
  2. might take hits...

#22     Feb 1, 2003

3. immediately. anything that will alter public consciousness affects the markets. this is my field of study.

surfer:cool:

#23     Feb 1, 2003
  4. Interesting.

Immediately, huh? No thought of the the feelings of the family members or the tragic nature of the accident first, no moment of silence, no reflection on the nature of life and how death could come at any moment for any of us, no sense of loss, no concern of possible terrorism behind the accident...........just how to profit from the event?

That was your first thought, very first reaction and impression, your immediate thoughts were about the consequence on the markets come Monday?....not thoughts that follow after absorbing the first thought. Just like when you wake up in the morning.......first thing that comes into the mind......shows us what we are most attached to and what is our most important value in life.

I can understand if one was in the middle of the trading day and heard the news and quickly evaluated responses in the markets, but on a Saturday?

That to me is like hearing about a family member that dies, and the first thought is about the inheritance and what you will buy with the money.

#24     Feb 1, 2003
  5. Has anyone here ever witnessed a "patriotic rally". What kind of BS is that supposed to be: "The US just took a hit and it probably won't be good for the economy, so stocks are likely to drop a little, but I want to show my support by pouring some money into the markets!"

#25     Feb 1, 2003
  6. GeeTO69

GeeTO69

Ha Ha ha "Patriotic rallY" ... yeah right ... bend over ALL to receive it ... YOU are patriotic and THEY make the $$. ha!

#26     Feb 1, 2003
  7. The poll question is really poorly phrased. What if you want to answer "The market will drop moderately". It lumps all the answers that are not choices into none of the above. Also, you dont know what other factors will affect the stock market on Monday (either fall or rally).

#27     Feb 1, 2003
  8. My thoughts about the Market came immediately after I heard the news. Nothing wrong about that, as that is my profession and only source of income. Everything revolves around the markets.

Will we see a gap down on Monday? I hope so. I happen to be short the s/p futures.

Just a thought,

triple

#28     Feb 1, 2003
  9. "Everything revolves around the markets."

How many "evolutionary" steps above an animal who lives hand to mouth, fearing for its survival on a constant basis does that kind of mentality place us?

#29     Feb 1, 2003
  10. Well, this accident shows that this country is more vulnerable than you might think. Accidents do happen, but to me these people are true heroes because they undertook this mission knowing that this might happen.
    Personally, I would like trading to be suspended for one day to have people reflect upon this tragedy.
    There are more important things in life than trading. Exploring the Universe is certainly one of such things. I think that perhaps some people lose in the markets because they do not realize that there is more to life than just trading.

#30     Feb 1, 2003