market reaction to space shuttle incident

Discussion in 'Trading' started by marketsurfer, Feb 1, 2003.

1. How the hell can a space shuttle going down effect the market?

What's it got to do with Wall St or the economy?

People who think that will have an effect are most probably the same people who as soon as it happened thought 'terrorism'. Don't you think there would be easier targets to go for than a space ship?

However I don't rule out that if the market is down on Monday that they'll blame it on the Shuttle. They seem to be blaming downside moves on everything but never the real reason - the outlook of the global economy.

#11     Feb 1, 2003
  2. Well, the shed in my parents' back yard would be an easier target. But would it be all over the news for hours, possibly days?

The fact that this very mission came down right at Palestine, TX is either an indication of terrorism, a sign from God, or quite a huge coincidence.

#12     Feb 1, 2003
  3. The fact that this very mission came down right at Palestine, TX

( israeli astronaut on board )

I have not seen confirmation of this have you ?:confused:

#13     Feb 1, 2003
  4. TGregg

TGregg

Wreckage found near Palestine, as well as many other Texas cities. The "wreeckage zone" is probably hundreds of square miles.

#14     Feb 1, 2003
  5. Well suppose it all makes a good story for all these crappy brain dead news channels.

space ship
    Palestine
    terrorism
    act of god

Call me stupid but isn't space travel and exploration inherently complex and dangerous. And hasn't every nation who's tried it suffered major disasters?

Just wish I was a news producer must be an easy job these days, get half the facts at most, make up the rest, jazz it all up, plaster the screen with flashing text and numbers, sensationalize everything x 2, and then get the same robot news anchors to deliver.

#15     Feb 1, 2003
  6. cheeks

cheeks

about 5 seconds.

#16     Feb 1, 2003
  7. TGregg

TGregg

No doubt. Think how many missions we've run, 88 (I think) since the Challenger disaster. Including this mission today, NASA's record has been (IMHO) absolutely outstanding.

#17     Feb 1, 2003
  8. TGregg

TGregg

You can take the trader out of the market, but you can't take the market out of the trader :D.

That's on par with my reaction.

#18     Feb 1, 2003
  9. Neil

Neil

On the other hand gregg.. if airlines had a record like that you would not get me on a plane to save the world... if one out of every 88 flights went down... man..

its a horrible thing, having grown up with space flight and remembering yuri's first orbit of the earth it saddens me terribly... the one thing I will not do is try to figure how it may affect the stupid stock market... space flight is a noble endeavour with a view to the future of mankind.. the stock market on the other hand is a pile of greedy silly shit.. lol Tho I do wanna make dosh all the same.. but not out of disaster..

#19     Feb 1, 2003
  10. TGregg

TGregg

So what? If frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their @$$.

Are you trying to suggest that blasting off on top of 4 million pounds of LOX (or whatever that stuff is) in a giant tin can, hanging around in a vacumm for a week or two and then going mach 18 in a trip from space to the ground has the same risk as going from Pheonix to LA in an airplane?

Or are you trying to say we shouldn't go to space unless we can remove all risk?

#20     Feb 1, 2003