Market Quote

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nutmeg, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Market Quote, a first-time starter in the fourth race at Santa Anita on Sunday, was left in the gate for nearly three seconds but was able to overtake the field for the victory.

The 4-year-old daughter of After Market was making her debut for trainer John Shirreffs in a mile race on turf for maiden fillies.

She balked when the starting gate opened. By the time she started running after urging from jockey Joe Talamo, she was 10 lengths behind in a field of nine.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1jT8qO_Qdkw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Our neighbour's dog shit in our garden so my mother told to me to get a shovel and throw it over the fence.

I don't see what that solved, now we've got dog shit in our garden and the neighbours have our shovel.

Nice race huh?

3. Those come from behind wins are always sweet, except for the 2-1 that got nosed out. I did not see the conditions for entry for this race but in general Maiden Special Weights races are populated with high priced animals, the owners of which cannot bear to put in the correct class. Some of these critters will never win a race, except by accident. The trainer of Market Quote was either very lucky or very skillful. With thoroughbreds both qualites are useful. In the vast majority of races there are usually only two or three real contenders. But this trainer hid the form of his animal very well and got a 5-1 payoff.