Market Profile Trading

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by traderguy02, May 9, 2006.

1. How do you get MP charting on Tradestation? Are you using krammer's ELD? Thanks.

#11     May 10, 2006
  2. slacker

slacker

Create a price chart then go to Insert->Activity Bar

And then select "Price Distribution" from the dialog.

It is more of a price distribution than a true MarketProfile using volume and price.

Good luck,

#12     May 10, 2006
  3. I put that on before, it looks kinda funny and a little confusing... Thanks.

#13     May 10, 2006
  4. slacker,

Thanks for your help. Did you try kramer's ELD? It looks better to me. For some reason it only works for day-only session. I just started playing with it. There is some problem, I have to reload it to get it refresh?? Let me know if it is any better.

Home->Support->All Forum->EasyLanguage Library->All

Look for gkMtProfileTL authored by ghkrammer.

Regards,
    KC

#14     May 10, 2006
  5. slacker

slacker

Kramer's ELD is better than the price distribution in Tradestation. Kramer also built a MarketProfile 'channel' that draws a channel around price at the UVA and LVA. I like this channel a lot.

Another commercial package that draws MP in Tradestation is at:
    http://www.theswingmachine.com/Price_Distrib_Anal/PriceDist_Main.htm

It also is a 'price distribution' and not a true MP with volume.

Good luck

#15     May 10, 2006
  6. bolter

bolter

traderguy02,
    I am still predominantly a position trader - for my investors. Enitrely systematic though - no MP.

MP is primariily a tool for discretionary traders.

bolter

#16     May 10, 2006
  7. Hi slacker

Regarding his channels, are you talking about his example indicator under the same thread? Do you have refresh problem with his histogram?

I don't know anything about MP but this histogram just make sense to me as confirmation to take entry or filtering out mediocre trades.

Thanks.

Regards,
    KC

#17     May 10, 2006
  8. Are you actually suggesting that system trading is better than discretionary trading? How do you compensate for emotions?

#18     May 11, 2006
  9. 9999

There's also this one:
    http://www.sirtrade.com/market.htm
    Never used it, and no affiliation with this company whatsoever.

#19     May 11, 2006
  10. bolter

bolter

traderguy02,
    Better - hmmmm? I think the objectives for the two are fundamentally different. Discretionary trading for most people on ET is all about generating income. Whereas systematic trading is more about generating a return on your assets.

While discretionary trading has a potentially greater payoff near term, systematic trading kicks butt over the long haul.

So I guess your question can be answered by considering your trading oibjectives and your horizon.

I put all my emotions into researching, developing and testing systems. By the time I start trading a new system I am extremely confident the system will work as expected. Hence it is then simply a matter of executing efficiently. Success has the wonderful effect of dampening emotions.

#20     May 14, 2006