Market Panics Over Obama?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wareco, Oct 24, 2008.

1. I *RELISH* the circular firing squad that the Republicans will become the morning after Barack Obama is elected the next POTUS.

For icing on the cake: the end of the influence of the conservative redneck Bible-thumping South as a force in national elections.

Buh-bye, Mrs. Palin!

#31     Oct 24, 2008
  2. you nailed it.

#32     Oct 24, 2008
  3. I wonder why the market went down on 2000-2003.

#33     Oct 24, 2008
  4. Yeah - money supply and price controls.

The whole "price control" thing happened in 1971. Which was under Nixon.

It was Nixon's attempt to deal with inflation. Why was there inflation under Nixon?

The price controls were first implemented in 1971 - years before the first oil embargo.

That question makes the whole Arthur Burns thing interesting (Fed Chm - 1970/1978).

Much has been written about Nixon's influence on Burns to provide easy credit. Some accounts feel that Nixon simply thought it was right correct thing to do. Others say Nixon pressured Burns for to gain political advantage.

Either way, money supply grew significantly and contributed to inflation.

As "Mercor" points out, Carter replaces Fed Chm Burns with Fed Chm Volcker and Volcker implemented a contraction of money supply.

"Trintytrader" does not seem to be very fond of the change that Volcker brought in, possibly because it was painful.

I think most economists, however, agree that Burns would have had to ultimately do what Volcker did if he was allowed to remain. And the longer Burns had waited, if he had the opportunity to stay around, very likely more damage to the economy.

Painful as it may have been for several years, the change implemented by Volcker ultimately set the table for better times.

#34     Oct 24, 2008
  5. I've considered that this whole crisis is due to a mole being presented as a Presidential candidate.

That someone of his low caliber and credentials could be RUNNING, no less elected is a disgrace.

If I was the big $ , I'd have liquidated too.

This is the OBSAMA Recession/Depression and he's not even in office yet.

#35     Oct 24, 2008

6. How is it possible to have a person "presented as" a presidential candidate in the U.S.?

Obama won his primary and McCain won his primary.

Neither candidate was "presented" ...

#36     Oct 24, 2008
  7. You seem to be new here, so let me help you.
    You're trying to convince a political hack with a rational argument, not going to work.

you have a feature in your profile where you can add people to your ignore list and never se them again, stock777 is one of the biggest trolls here. he an an idiotic shill with no regards for facts, or logic. You''d be just wasting your time trying to talk to him, most of ET just ignore him, add stock_trader and "South America" and you should be fine
    I keep them cause I can handle them.
    The Sad state of America today reflects well these retards cognitive ability.

#37     Oct 24, 2008
  8. Thanks.

I have checked out some of his past posts - so I get what you are saying ...

#38     Oct 24, 2008
  9. mrpace

mrpace

Hey, when you can't debate on the facts, pull the race card. Excellent plan!

This way, you'll never have to address a tough question. Kind of like Palin when she goes on Hannity.

#39     Oct 24, 2008
  10. I would say a lot of the resentment of Obama is racial motivated. What I don't get is that the hard core right wingers don't understand that the president they pushed on the other 49% percent of the country was an abysmal failure. So you guys get the keys to the car taken away for 4 years. I think Obama can be what Reagan was to conservatives. I think Obama may pry away that moderate wing of the GOP that can't take anymore Ws or Palins. Reagan dem meet Obama republicans

#40     Oct 24, 2008