Market Monk

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by cornholetrading, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ER9

ER9

by following the trend and as long as your in the market at all times you will catch the big moves. :D

#41     Jul 3, 2005
  2. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

or posting on an internet site.

if i was making 1mil a day i wouldnt be on the net - id be in chick land with my super big boat, walking round with a supermodels unwashed panties on my head. hhmmm!! and i wouldnt give a sh!t

#42     Jul 5, 2005
  3. Might 'know' who it is.I'll ask if I 'see' him around.(Probably won't answer though?)

#43     Jul 5, 2005
  4. shaman777

shaman777

In his defence, he's not posting everyday anymore... that actually died pretty quickly. Of course, it's EXTREMELY unlikely that this guy is for real, but if he's not, what's his angle? Bragging rights on the internet? Milking a group of wannabe's out of 10K each for joining his monastery? I just don't see what his angle is if he's not for real.

#44     Jul 5, 2005
  5. I offered to fly out to meet him and write him a 10K check today and he declined. Said he had a gut feel I was a competitor trying to steal his systems. Smells like a scam. There are a few guys around who've been doing stuff like this for a while... guy named Jim B comes to mind and last I heard, he was even asking 10K just like this guy. Who trolls the internet looking for people to trade their millions? Doesn't work like that. And you have to figure people, with his performance as posted he'd pretty much own the world by December.

I'd be very interested in getting to the bottom of this guy. Anyone know how to get any more info? If he's a scam, let's debunk him and make a public example!

#45     Jul 5, 2005
  6. Exactly, something doesn't add up.

Off-topic but I have to say you are one patient person, registered over 2 years ago and this is your first post? Impressive.

#46     Jul 5, 2005
  7. lol... i guess the technical definition is 'lurker', right?

#47     Jul 5, 2005
  8. Just thought I'd follow up to yesterday's post and share our email exchanges. Judge for yourself... Here's what I sent him:

Hi. I saw your excellent blog. Very nicely done and congrats on a great trading year so far.

I am a full-time trader, have been for the past 10 years. The first 5 I was trading for a very well known big trader who took a huge hit and let some staff go, the last 5 have been on my own and for my own account. I've done well for myself and am considering taking on OPM. However, seeing what you've posted, what you're looking for, I thought I would check you out before I looked very hard for other sources of funds.

Though I have my own methodology that works well (I have had million+ years 3 times in the past 5) I'm certainly willing to learn your ideas and manage your money according to guidlines we agree on. Don't think that because I'm successful I'm unwilling to change or learn new methods.

Now at this point you have no idea who I am, and I know nothing about you (loved the line on your blog about trading in pajamas though!). What I'd like to do, if you are up for it, is to get on a plane tomorrow and meet you wherever you are. I'll bring my account statements from the past 5 years so you can verify my performance. I have raw account statements from a few years and audited statements from the past 2 (not including 2005 of course). I would also like to see a current statement from your account, just to give me some sense of verification from your end.

I won't take much of your time and we can certainly do this after market hours. Currently I am holding only long term positions so I can leave my assistant in charge of the positions for half a day. It just seems foolhardy to explore a relationship like this without a face to face meeting, don't you think?

Let me know if this is doable and if you would be up for a meeting sometime in the next few days.

and here's what he sent back to me:

My instinct tells me you are a competitor who may want to learn from me and move on. I may be wrong, but that is my opinion.

I am looking for partners that I can teach my method to and that will only trade my method in a private equity hedge fund. I am not looking to manage "public" money, as you are.

With that in mind, I will take a pass.

All the best on raising public OPM to management. I am sure you will have a great career.

Take care,

Market Monk

So, the question I'd ask is, does this make any sense to you? Why in the world would he not be willing to meet with me, if he's legit? Thoughts? Opinions?

#48     Jul 6, 2005
  9. The last I heard Monk was trading for an individual in California, with deep pockets, who maintains a private hedge fund. Sounds like he is recruiting to add people to help trade the fund and pocketing $10K from each of the recruits. If that is the case, it's greedy and smells.

#49     Jul 6, 2005
  10. imho no way he made that kind of money but another question is if you had million + years why would you want\need to get involved with someone who most everyone on this thread thinks is fos?

#50     Jul 6, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.